Potty training

I would like to slowly introduce my son into potty training, a no pressure kind of thing, but I'm at a complete loss as to where to start. Any advice, tips, opinions? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :]

ManicMomma02

Asked by ManicMomma02 at 7:12 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just take him when you go and sit him on the potty. You can do this with our without the diaper. When you are done let him get up too. Otherwise you could just jump right in a start taking him several times a day and let him sit there for about 5 min at a time. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:15 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I brought my DD to the store to pick a potty out and we got it and then she wanted to sit on it about a week later and she is getting there it has been about 2 months. She just turned 2 a week ago.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:33 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My mom told me to do this...

The first thing they wake up take them into the bathroom and sit them on the potty. This is usually the best time, because more urine is a lot easier to come then any during the day. They're still graugy and aren't thinking about what they're doing in the bathroom.

They say 15 minutes after the first sippy cup .. But gauge your child's signs if you think it should be earlier. But after the first sippy cup again take them to the bathroom to go again. If they don't have a morning sippy cup, then change this one to after breakfast. Again wait at least 5 minutes, so the food is through their system, unless you feel earlier is better for your child.

After the in between meal sippy cup (if they get one. If they get one with the meal, then ignore this)

Then after each meal after that. Then take them right before bed. Creating a routine is what you're looking for here. (Contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 PM on May. 28, 2010

• (Contin)
    You're looking to start a routine and get them familiarized with when it's best to go to the bathroom. When they're older they'll be able to understand more their own body and know when to choose for themselves when to go. At this point though it's best to help them by treating it as just another routine. And by doing so they'll become more comfortable with it.

Make sure to give positive reinforcement as well. "Good Job, Johnny you went potty! You're such a big boy, I'm soo proud of you!" Yes, make a big deal out of it. The more excited you are, the more excited they are about using the potty. Which is important, because toddlers love when you get excited about something they've done. If they dont' go, then make sure to still give them a "Good try, we'll try again after lunch." To keep their spirits up and let them know that even though they didn't go you appriciate them trying.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:48 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If you think your child is really ready and willing to learn to go potty ; in the potty seat. then there's this potty training video tape that is very good and I hear it really works well. She got it at "toy r us." but your child 's got to be ready to learn if he \ she is not willing to go in the potty seat.then its not worth getting it.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:31 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I started off slowly with my son and it has really showed positive results because we go at HIS pace (he is 25 months old). I tried the timer method at first but it only frustrated him. he knew what the potty was, and he was telling us when he had to go, so taking him every 20-30 minutes if he didnt have to go in the first place stressed him out and he stopped telling us when he had to go (so yeah nothing but accidents). SO and I mellowed out and took him to the potty when he had to go, he started telling us again and after a while things were harmonious once again. He refuses to poop in the potty, but we are working on that. He wears underwear all day and for outings and for naps he wears either cloth training pants or pull-ups. he graduated to pull-ups overnight since he hasnt been waking up soaked. there are still many accidents. they are expected. never scold for accidents!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:07 PM on May. 29, 2010