Can a baby with ezcema get in beach water?

He doesnt have it right now, but he used to. Will beach water irritate him and bring it back or is it fine?

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What's beach water?

• It's probably fine as long as you make sure you rinse him off with fresh water when he's done and maybe put some lotion on so the salt in the water doesn't dry out his skin and cause irritation that way.

• Chlorine (which is in tap water) does a lot more harm than a little salt. We live near the beach, and I have 2 with eczema- they both love to splash, and it doesn't have any ill effect.

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My sister has psoriasis which is a related skin condition and she was always told that the water in the ocean was really good for her skin, as well as chlorinated pool water.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My daughter gets it pretty bad on occasion. She was fine with the saltwater but the pool water did a number on her skin. We had to be sure to give her a bath right after pool time to keep her skin from breaking out. If you're worried just make sure you rinse her with fresh water as soon as possible.

Answer by coppersoul at 10:46 PM on May. 28, 2010

• actually sea water will make it go away-- it works really well

Answer by MELRN at 11:10 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Are you talking about ocean water or lake water (fresh water)? I don't know the answer to your question, but my son has eczema so I'll be watching the replies.

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:31 PM on May. 30, 2010