my doctor made me cry, am i really gaining too much weight?

i'm 32 weeks now so i have doc appts every 2 weeks. today i was 2 lbs heavier than i was 2 weeks ago which put me at 142, i started at 117 and i'm 5'4". i tested negative for GD and my uterus is exactly where it's supposed to be and everything on me is still skinny with the addition of a hard round belly. this isn't the first time either, 2 months ago she gave me crap for gaining 8 lbs in 4 weeks but the next month i gaind 2 lbs in 4 weeks and she said that was perfect, and now this time she's giving me crap again for 2 lbs in 2 weeks. it's not like she's mean about it but it doesn't make me feel good when she tells me i'm gaining too much weight. is she right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think that you're not doing that bad. You've only gained 25 lbs so far, and they say a healthy pregnancy should gain 25 - 35 lbs if you were a healthy weight in the beginning, which you were. If you gain two lbs every two weeks until your due date, you'll only gain another 8 lbs, which still puts you in the healthy area. I think your doc is being a huge jerk.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes doctors don't think like hormonal women about to give birth! You sound like you have done a great job of watching your weight gain.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:53 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Just tell her to shut up about your wieght. Your pregnant, you are suppose to gain weight. Or look for a different doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You are still within your healthy weight gain range according to my doctor. My doctor always told me to gain about 40 pounds during my pregnancy because technically I am considered underweight.. I am 5'4 and I weigh about 114 normally. I never gained 40 pounds, but that was just a suggestion.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• try to watch what you eat, she is used to women gaining way too much. youve gained alot. not too unreasonalbe but if you gain a apound a weak for the next 8 weaks then you may regret the extra couple. also keep it mind the your perception may be off because your sensitive and pregnant. but at the end of the day its still your baby, and body. tell her the she hurt your feelings and is damaging your working relashionship by her constant weight critquiges. good luck mama. and i dont think that its too much compred to alot of women.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 7:55 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I'd switch. Do you really want someone to nag you the rest of your pregnancy? Or someone who makes you feel bad to be with you in labor?

You're doing GREAT. Your body will gain as much weight as it needs to in order to grow a healthy baby, and it's not your doctor's business how much that is. There is no evidence that gaining more or less tahn the "recommended" amount will harm mom or baby. I'm 30 weeks and have gained 36 pounds so far. I even started out overweight, too. Most of it is from a high-protein diet with TONS of food on it (seriously, look at the Brewer diet and tell me you wouldn't gain weight like crazy on it). I gained 42 pounds total with my daughter and I lost it all by 8 months post partum, doing nothing but nursing my baby and taking twice weekly walks.

My midwife has never said a single word about my weight gain. Switch, for real. No reason to feel bady about growing a healthy baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:57 PM on May. 28, 2010

• thats the thing too, i don't eat junk food at all, never have, and i don't eat over eat at all
    Anonymous

• what was the estimated weight of your baby at your last ultrasound? If you are only gaining weight as baby and not packing on weight everywhere else I would say you are fine. Much better off than those women who use being prego as an excuse to eat whatever they want and get really big! You are doing fine.
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 8:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• yeah i'm not one of those at all, i i've worked out and eaten right my entire pregnancy. last ultrasound was actually at 20 weeks and she said i'm low risk so i'm not getting another and the baby was 14 ounces then
    Anonymous

• I gained 7lbs between every 4 week appointment and approximately 3lbs between every 2 week appointment. I gained 42lbs total (even though I didn't eat any more than normal, which isn't much, not a big eater). My Midwife wasn't concerned. She told me that I was all fluid.

Boy was she right. After delivering the baby on April 19th I dropped 20lbs ASAP and then another 5lbs by the time the baby was 5 weeks old.

Sounds like your doctor has a burr up her butt.
    Anonymous