Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need to have the children's birth certificates with me when flying internally?

Answer Question

Asked by cristinaberger at 7:54 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Travel

Level 3 (20 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I would but that's just me. At least take a copy. I make copies of those and my license and my insurance papers and my credit cards just in case the originals get stolen. I doubt if anyone steals your children though!

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:55 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • Internally????Do you mean Internationally?


    Answer by louise2 at 7:57 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • You really should have passports for them! Ifyou lost your child's birth certificate it COULD be used to get other documents, leading to identity theft--especially if traveling outside the US! At least a passport is legally recorded/issued with an identifying record number, and can be easily replaced if lost or stolen.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • i am going next week from texas to pennsylvania and I don't have time to get passports. So do I need any paperwork to prove that they are my kids, or not?

    Answer by cristinaberger at 8:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • You are not traveling internationally (or internally, for that matter) - you are traveling within the US, you do not need passports unless you plan to cross into Mexico or Canada. Yes, have their birth certificates - and your own, I needed mine when I went from Omaha to Miami.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • Within the US means internally.

    Answer by cristinaberger at 12:22 AM on May. 29, 2010

  • We flew recenty (domestically) and we were required to carry birth certificates for the kids; we brought their passports and that sufficed as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on May. 29, 2010

  • Within the US is domestically, not internally. I've flown domestically with my daughter and they never asked for a birth certificate. If you plan on having an infant on your lap and the child looks like it could be over 2 years old, then you will need a birth certificate to prove he/she is under 2. Maybe for kids older than infants they ask since they don't have ID? I would go to the TSA website and the website for whichever airlines you're flying with. You could just take a copy with you, just in case.

    Answer by Christina807 at 11:43 AM on May. 29, 2010

  • Dictionary: in·ter·nal

    1. Of, relating to, or located within the limits or surface; inner.
    5. Of or relating to the domestic affairs of a nation, group, or business.

    Answer by cristinaberger at 12:35 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • We all know the definition of internal. Technically you can say internally when referring to flights within the U.S., but everyone else in America calls them domestic flights. So continue saying internal flights and people will continue thinking you mean internationally and are too stupid to say the word correctly.

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:06 AM on May. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN