Pets and a newborn?

My baby's due in October, and I've been debating as to whether I should get a cat at this point. My husband will take care of its litter so that is of concern. I just wonder if a pet will be an inconvenience or if it will be completely neglected when the baby arrives. What's been your experience with pets and babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Pets

• YES it will be an inconvenience and YES it will probably get neglected...lol

I would hold off until said baby is old enough to want a pet...which will happen before you know it :)

Anonymous

• We have cats and dogs. I foster for rescue organizations and sometimes we have lots of cats and dogs. When my grandson was an infant we had a multigenerational home. There was me (grandma), my three adult sons, dil, and grandbaby. For a while we had my grandbaby's lab mix, our golden retriever, two foster dogs, our 3 cats, and two foster kittens. We all got along in a 3 bedroom house.

I think a dog is better. My grandson is now 20 mo and he is really close to his lab mix dog. The dog sits next to his car seat and keeps him company. We now live in seperate homes and the dog comes with him when I take care of him. My grandson barks and can sit for cookies. We just put in a doggie door and he crawls through it. He is one of the pack! Its great. He ignores the cats.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:07 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If you really want a cat I think it would be fine. So long as you really want the cat. It might be better to have a kitten now when your baby is too small to crawl after it. I watch a 1yr old and I have 2 cats, on is also a year and the other is just 13 weeks. The older cat is used to being around children and they know how to treat the animals, he reacts rather calmly when the baby goes after him and pulls his fur. I have to keep the baby away from the kitten because if she was to grab him he would scratch her. Why not get it now if you plan on keeping it. Just remember it can be very active and need quite a bit of attention.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:20 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Yes! I think you should. It's not good to have cats around newborns or while your pregnant. You don't have to give your cat away. You can always see if a family member or friend can watch it until your baby gets old enough to be aroud it.
    marie1284

Answer by marie1284 at 8:34 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Its a myth that having cats around newborns is bad for them. The only scientific study that has been proven is the litter box thing. Having a cat around a newborn is no more detrimental then eating around a newborn.

Don't get a cat until your child is older. You will neglect it, you will not have time for it.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:01 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Cats sometimes sleep on baby's faces. Just look out for that. I recommend getting a dog!!!
    Anonymous

• I am a animal lover. i have a 8 months old and i have 1 cat, two dogs, 2 turtles, and fish. while i was pregnant around 30 weeks, someone in my family got my a puppy on my birthday.... i loved this dog to death but as soon as the baby was born everything changes....... i would wait until after the baby is born.... maybe a few week. just until your not so stressed out and your will enjoy your new pet a lot more. Plus it will be use to the baby for day one. Hope this helps!!!
    ILoveConnor09

Answer by ILoveConnor09 at 11:36 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I had a very sweet tempered, cuddly, cute kitty when I was pregnant...She turned into psycho kitty the day I brought the baby home. Hissing at the baby and clawing the other kids...My parents ended up taking here and she went back to being sweet.
    judith106

Answer by judith106 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It's dangerous to have a cat around a newborn or while being pregnant because they are very jealous animals.
    From2to3

Answer by From2to3 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2010