family doctor?

so i'm 8 months pregnant and told i have to choose a family doctor. does that just mean a pediatrician? the only doc i've had since i was 16 has been my gyno, i'm 21 now. i just don't see how a pediatrician can be a family dotor cause they only treat kids so what about my husband and myself? i may sound dumb for asking this but i really am clueless. please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think they mean a pediatrician for your baby...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:22 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't understand your question. If a family doc is delivering your baby he can be the baby's doctor. The baby doesn't need a pediatrician. The family doc can be the primary health provider for everyone in the family. You don't need a gyn. The family doc can do your pap and yearly exams. If anyone in your family needs speciality care the family doc will refer you to a specialist.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:23 PM on May. 28, 2010

• All we have is a family doctor - the office I go to has a midwife, and the rest are family doctors. One concentrates a little more on older people, one is really good with kids, one is more knowledgeable in cardiology, etc, but all of them will see everybody. I'd have to drive 60+ miles one way to see a pediatrition. And frankly, the doctors we have are a heck of a lot better than the pediatrition we did have when one DD was in the hospital an hour away!
    Anonymous

• A family doctor would mean a general practitioner or family doctor. Usually this is the doctor you declare for your primary doctor for your insurance company (especially Medicaid) and then you also have your GYN and PED.
    Anonymous