Is 4 too young to sleep downstairs?

My son turned 4 in march. Our basement is almost a complete finished basement ( the bedrooms are finished) and will be completed by next year. His half sister sleeps downstairs when she is here. I know he would get into mischief but he does that no matter what, whether he sleeps upstairs or down. If I were to put a monitor down there when he is downstairs, do you think he is old enough to sleep by himself down there? It is a walkout basement, his room is complete with two windows and everything. Would you let your kid sleep downstairs at 4 years old?

AndreaAKAMommy

Asked by AndreaAKAMommy at 8:23 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Heck no, I wouldn't. Not if it's walk-out. Mischeif can turn really bad in a heartbeat, no matter how closely you monitor or regardless of any precautions you can take.
    Anonymous

• No way! Please do not tell me you're even considering it, I would not be able to sleep knowing my 4 year old little niece is alone in the basement while we're upstairs. My bedroom would be downstairs if anything because I like the privacy.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:52 PM on May. 28, 2010

• The door down there has a chain lock on top where the kids cant reach. I am considering it or I wouldnt have asked the question! There would be much more of a chance for him to be able to exit the house upstairs than down, since there is no way to reach the chain lock unless he figured out how to move his very heavy dresser. I would obviously have to go through and make sure there is nothing else in the downstairs that he could get into that would be dangerous even with the monitor. How would you determine they are old enough then? I guess that is the real question. We are just now talking about when we want to start to transition that into being his room.
    AndreaAKAMommy

Answer by AndreaAKAMommy at 9:21 PM on May. 28, 2010

• No. My bedroom is right next to my 5 and 4 year old. I have a spare room that my 6 year old nephew sleeps in when he wants a night away from his brothers a few doors down from my room and that's the furthest I'd allow him to sleep. Even when he falls asleep on the couch I carry him up to the bedroom. There's too much of a risk leaving a child that young to sleep on another level of the house, with or without a monitor.
    Anonymous

• How many floors between you and your son would there be? If there is absolutely nothing he can harm himself with than the transition question is subjective to how he feels about. If he is comfortable sleeping so far away from you. My 4 year old daughter is a mommy's girl and it was a struggle just to get her to stay in her room across the hall, and even now she'll sneak into my bed on the weekends.
    Anonymous

• Well here is a different view....what if the house was on fire? what if there was an emergency of any kind? He is to young, period.
    Anonymous

• My parents always were on a different floor than I was growing up. Right now dh and I sleep on the same floor as the kids but hopefully in a year we won't. We have a cape cod and are finishing the upstairs for our room. Our three kids, they will be 1, 3 and 4 will be on the first floor by themselves. I see nothing wrong with it. We are planning on getting the video monitors.
    Anonymous

• You have to be kidding me right?
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 11:59 PM on May. 28, 2010

• When they are 18 and over is best. IMO
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 12:00 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Really. So the people who dont think that he should ever sleep downstairs, Your telling me that all your kids sleep on the same floor as you do? I find that hard to believe. He would only be right below me, we dont have an upstairs, our house is a ranch style. God forbid there is ever a fire, but if there were we have hard lined smoke detectors, and it is not going to increase or decrease the chances of a fire upstairs or down. He doesnt care if he sleeps near us, he is extremely independent unlike my younger two. We are planning on waiting AT LEAST until the fall/winter, just wondering how long everyone feels after that we should wait. I know how I feel. I slept upstairs in my bedroom ALONE (only child) from when I came home from the hospital.
    AndreaAKAMommy

Answer by AndreaAKAMommy at 9:25 AM on May. 29, 2010