What food to give my baby at 4 months?

I've been breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. She has never gained weight properly. I've tried EVERYTHING. I worked with a LC, took Fenegeek, Reglan, and even Domperidone. I've pumped and pumped. The baby still hasn't gained enough.

She won't take extra formula OR breastmilk in a bottle. Nipple confusion? I've been trying to give her a bottle for 2 months and she still won't take it.

What do I do? Are there any solids I could try at only 4 months? She's looking very skinny and cries when she's just sucking and sucking at the breast.

ClaireW

Asked by ClaireW at 9:12 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you give a history of her weights? How many diapers are you changing in a 24 hr period? I would NOT recommend solids, because ounce for ounce, BM and formula contain MORE calories, and you don't want her to fill up on a solid with very little calories and then be too full for the higher calorie BM.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Krysta is right. Breastmilk has waaaaay more nutrition than any solids you could giver her. Have you talked to your pedi?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:20 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I would stick to breastmilk but I think you should talk to your pedi. Solids will be too harsh for her sensitive digestive tract and breastmilk should have the nutrients she needs already. Are you watching what you eat so that she does get her nutrients? Is she not growing at all and malnourished or is she just a small baby?
    My son is just small, at 10 months he is only 26 inches and weighs 15.5 lbs. Everyone tells me thats really small but his father and I are not big people so its to be expected. Size is relative. If you are really worried, talk to your pedi. before adding foods into the diet.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:46 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Aqua_Jen .. If she's not getting enough with breastmilk then she clearly needs more. Staying with JUST breastmilk will only make the situation worse.

At four months you can start giving them infant cereal and pureed foods. That is what my children's pediatrician okay'd for my two kids. I started giving both of them infant cereal and pureed foods at four months and both of them took to it very well. Around that age they were continuing to be hungry after a full bottle, and pureed foods helped them fill up. They were both very excited to try new foods and took too it naturally.

Talk with your pediatrician to make sure that they don't have any allergy concerns. However, most all peditricians say it is okay to start infant cereal and pureed foods at four months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:09 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You can pump or use formula and supplement at the breast if she won't take a bottle using an At Breast Supplementer

I used the Lact-Aid for several months with my adopted baby until I was able to make enough breastmilk.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:22 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My breastfed daughter won't take a bottle either, but she will take a little out of a sippy cup so that's something you can try. tommee tippee makes one rated for 4+ months and that's the only one she'll touch. babie's r us has them and you can order them online. also a note on cereal, rice very likely will constipate her. if it does try oatmeal it has more fiber. stage 1 puree's are fine to give at this age as long as her tongue thrust reflex is gone. just give one fruit or veggie at a time and give her the same one for a few days in a row to watch for sensitivity and allergies. good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:06 PM on May. 28, 2010

• OP here.

She's about 12 pounds right now. She was born at 8 pounds. So she's gaining about a pound a month. Since they're supposed to gain 7 oz per week, that means she SHOULD be gaining 2 pounds a month. I've been doing weight checks every week and she only gains 3-4 ounces per week. So half of what she should be gaining. She's quite the skinny girl.

It drives me crazy she will not accept a bottle with formula. I know she needs a little extra.

I actually already had her tested for food allergies (her brother has them) and she has no allergies. We did blood and skin tests.

Honestly, she doesn't have the amount of wet diapers I think she should. Which is why she's not gaining.

I was thinking of trying avacado. It has good fats and minerals. Plus, it's got tons of fiber so hopefully it wouldn't constipate her.

ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 11:26 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Your baby should gain 4 ounces a week or 1 pound a month. It's good for babies to be lean as long as they are gaining a pound a month. My 3 boys all weighed around 17 pounds at 12 mo. Some people think 4 mo babies are supposed to weigh that much! If she isn't gaining a pound a month you should contact a La Leche League Leader or a lactation consultant. LLL Leaders will help for free by phone.

Nipple confusion is when a baby won't nurse right because they have been given bottles or pacifiers. It's not refusing bottles. It's normal for breastfed babies to refuse bottles. It's strange that she is crying at the breast. http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:29 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You wrote while I was writing! It's 4 oz a week babies are supposed to gain and a pound a month. The 7 oz is the high end of the range 4-7 oz and that's the max a baby should gain and that would be for boys. You want your baby to be on the the lower end. If your baby gained 2 pounds a month that would be 32 pounds at 12 mo and that would be overweight!!! Skinny is good!!! As long as your baby is above the 3rd percentile all is good. We know that heavier babies have weight and health problems their whole life. You may not be used to seeing nice lean breastfed babies. If you went to a La Leche League conference you would see lots of 4 mo babies that weigh 12 pounds or less since that's NORMAL.

You are worried about nothing.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:40 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It's good your baby has refused bottles. If you would give bottles that can be the end of breastfeeding. Using bottles upsets the supply and demand cycle of breastfeeding and can cause nipple confusion. If you feel you must supplement you can feed her by cup, spoon, dropper, syringe, or finger feeder.

It recommended that babies be exclusively breastfed for 6 mo. Since your baby has gained a pound a month she is doing fine on breastmilk. Cereal has iron in it that makes the baby's body have problems absorbing iron from your milk. Babies also can't digest cereal right until they are much older. Banana, sweet potato, or avocado are good first solids. http://www.kellymom.com/ has lots of info on starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:46 PM on May. 28, 2010