Question for moms who are a waitress or ever have been?

What do you think when you see a couple come in with an infant. Do you cringe or is it just another table to wait on? The reason I ask is because I really enjoy going out to eat and I want to bring our infant, but I worry that she may have a melt-down(she hasn't yet, but you never know.) Am I just making a big deal out of nothing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Am I just making a big deal out of nothing?

YES
    Anonymous

• I think so, if she acts up and you can't calm her, just leave for a few minutes or have your meal boxed up and take it home.. Also not going at times you know she will be fussy helps, like nap time.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:34 PM on May. 28, 2010

• you are making too big a deal. having a baby doesn't stop you from having your life, you adjust to adding that baby to your life. When I was a waittress, it didn't bother me to have the infants, (I'm assuming your baby is less than 9 months) What bothered me, were the people who would come in with OLDER children, (i.e. 2 and up) who never taught them how to act. And the parents just let their kids run amuck. My husband was kind of scared to bring our infant anywhere for the same reason you are. I talked him into a date out with us and it went very smoothly. And as my son has grown he's learned how to act in public and we really enjoy eating out with him. Enjoy mommy.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:38 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Go out and enjoy yourself- you deserve it! When I was a waitress, I always enjoyed seeing little babies, it was a nice reprive from the grumpier customers. As someone has already suggested go when you know baby will be happy and not hungry.
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 10:57 PM on May. 28, 2010

• When I was a waitress I always enjoyed seeing the babies and little kids. They were cute and sometimes quite entertaining. After I became a mom when hubs and I would go out to eat with baby we would try to pick 'kid friendly' family restaurants to eat at and we would try to go at times when they would not be very busy. I also took along a few toys or distraction items to entertain the baby, a pacifier, and formula/food in case they got hungry.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:39 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I was never a waitress myself, but I asked a friend who was once. The only thing she minded about the babies was the parents who let them run around, throwing plates of food on the floor, making huge messes. She says, if your kid does that, either clean it up, or add a little extra to the tip.
    Don't let having a kid keep you at home. Most do well in restaurants.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:08 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I always enjoyed the tables with kids! Make a big deal over their kids, bring extra napkins and wipes without being asked and always make sure you talk directly to the kids... Your tips will go way up!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on May. 29, 2010

• it never botherd me.... i was waitressing for many years, and now im not waitressing and i dont think it would bother me
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 2:19 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I love the answers you just got! We always try to go to family friendly restaurants with our granddaughter, but it is nice to hear other people say such nice things.

I hope you enjoy your night out!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:55 PM on May. 29, 2010