dr advice-get a physical therapist for 7.5 m/o?

I do daycare for a 7.5 month old little boy. love him to death and he has an awesome family support system, and experienced momma. this little boy is a *bit* spoiled by grandma, new dad, teen bro's and my 5 kids as well as me. at a sick visit this week dr said he was concerned baby isn't rolling over regularly and hasn't started crawling yet. he can sit up, rolls over if he has to, and can hold his chest up in a "lil push up". dr advised mom to get a physical therapist for the little boy. I think this is insane, as does she and dad. grandma is worried about him and thinks they should do therapy for him. my question is does anyone else think this is jumping the gun? any experience with it?

fivein06

Asked by fivein06 at 11:02 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son didn't start rolling over regularly until about 8 months, crawling at 11 months, and now he runs around like any other normal 3 year old. Our pedi said that the key thing they look for is getting around somehow by 9 months, whether by rolling, crawling, army crawling, scooting, walking, however, just getting around. I would wait a couple of months, personally. A lot can happen in a little time when they're that young.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:06 PM on May. 28, 2010

• why not ask the parents to ask the doctor to refer them to early intervention-- let the experts come out and see him

to answer your ?-- It is never too early to fix something thats not working well however the Doctor IS NOT the expert-- he may be an expert at ears and belly and lung sound but not at developmental stuff--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:06 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's insane. Kids can benefit greatly from early intervention. My daughter had PT,OT, Speech and special ed from birth to three years old.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:12 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My friends daughter is 9 months and can only sit and the dr said she was fine. She is starting to roll over here and there. And i dont know why the dr would worry bout crawling. It isnt a developmental milestone. Some kids never do it. And the average age for crawling is 9 months. I have another friend who has a 9 month old who isnt crawling also.
    Anonymous

• My niece didn't have physical therapy but early intervention came out to their house to visit her when she was 6 months old because she was behind a little physically but mainly because she would not bear weight on her legs. Early Intervention gave my sil exercises to do with her daily and it really helped.
    Anonymous

• I agree with early intervention. It's free for the evaluation and treatment is in the home up to age 3. One of my sons had early intervention and it was much less stressful than going to the hospital for therapy. His therapists were really nice and cared about the whole family. When I took a child development class in grad school the professor was a big believer in early intervention.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:20 PM on May. 28, 2010

• my big concern is that this is too early an intervention. he is social, he is active, he has great muscle tone. he can stand on furniture, loves his jumper, can reach out to drag a toy to him from sitting position way out front and back up to sitting. this is a full term baby, with no other indicators of risk. I whole-heartedly agree with early intervention , when necessary. just not sure this is necessary.
    fivein06

Answer by fivein06 at 11:27 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It sounds too me like this is jumping the gun to refer this child for intervention, but I say they should go ahead and do it. Why? Because the first thing they will do is a full developmental evaluation. Chances are they will do that, tell them baby is fine and he doesn't qualify for services. No harm done!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:59 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Chances are they will do that, tell them baby is fine and he doesn't qualify for services. No harm done!

No they'll make sure the kid qualifies, these services are highly funded by the federal government and every state is out to get as much of that money as they can.  You know the saying, use it or lose it. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on May. 29, 2010

• The dr may (in addition to the little boy not crawling, etc) see signs of poor muscle tone, which definitely would be a reason to do PT or OT. I think an evaluation by early intervention might be warranted if a dr is suggesting it.

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on May. 29, 2010