• In the Spotlight:

How can i get my 2 yo asleep by 8pm

I need tips on getting my 2 yo daughter asleep by 8pm

SwtnSourMama

Asked by SwtnSourMama at 11:14 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In all honesty it's something that has to be started from birth. Bath, book, bed. My daughter is in bed by 7pm since she was about 2 or 3 months old. You can do it now, but it will take about 2 weeks and you have to be consistent. It won't be easy but it will work. Go on Whattoexpect.com. There is a whole section about sleep problems and how to fix them under toddlers. I love that site! GL
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 11:21 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I agree with MLM0503, it is all about routine. My son has dinner, then bathtime, toothbrush time, toys night night time and then bedtime. He's in bed by 9pm every single night. 9 works better for us than the 7 for MLM0503. When the time changes in the fall his bedtime becomes 8pm. She is right, it will take a couple of weeks, but find a routine that works FOR YOU. Then just stick to it. IT may involve a few tears, a few nights of her getting back up out of bed and fussing around...but she will adjust to it. I PROMISE, stick in there. If she's in a toddler bed, pick her up and put her back in bed and then walk away. You may have to shut the door. good luck! stay strong
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:29 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My dd has been in a bedtime routine since she was 4 months old. She goes to bed by 7pm faithfully every night, with absolutely no problems. This is something you should have started a looooong time ago. It's going to take a lot of time and patience, so be prepared. I agree with MLM0503 re: Whattoexpect.com.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on May. 29, 2010

• First of all if you want him in bed by eight you should of had him \her \hergoing to bed by eight since the beginning and still have him \ her going to bed and always put him her to bed by eight. If your out with himher make sure your home by eight to put yor little one to bed ,if you go out and someone else is watching the child have that peerson put himher. to bed by eight. If he's not sleepy yet maybe say you prayers together and then read him a story. That might help him\her to fall asleep a little easier. Also if that doesn't help maybe an hour before bed have him drink a sippy cup of warm milk That will help him relax, if that doesn't help then two hours before bed add going outside to the back yard and play with him by running around , chasing him and catching him. that should tired him out for sure. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:23 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Being as though it sounds like u didnt start early, its not too late. I think u should start putting her on a schedule, like whe she wakes up in the mornin, feed her and then find something for her to do. Then u have to get her to take a nap, usually no longer than 1 hour...but no later than 2 pm. Then by 7 she should have eaten dinner and have taken a bath, that way she has a little more time to be free before its time to go to bed. 8pm she should be layin in the bed.......with my son(1 YEARS OLD), I PUT HIM IN HIS CRIB AND TURN THE LIGHTS OFF AND HE CRIES AT FIRST BUT 10 MIN, LATER HE IS ASLEEP. BE CONSISTANT WITH IT AND SHE WILL KNOW WHEN ITS TIME TO GO TO BED. GOOD LUCK:)

LilWayneMOM09

Answer by LilWayneMOM09 at 5:24 PM on May. 31, 2010