Bible Brainwashing

Has anyone on here seen Jesus Camp? Watch it. I want my children to make an educated and informed decision about religion. And that's IF they want any part of any religion. I refuse to brainwash them while they are growing up. I think it's sad that so many kids are brought up being forced to believe in something when they have no idea what it means. "Mommy, can I stay home today?" "NO! We're going to church! We live in a God fearing house and I won't have any sinners.....blah blah blah." And so the child goes, sits and resents what he's doing.

I don't really care if you respind. I'm not trying to be a troll here. Just frustrated that we're bringing up brainwashed masses.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are so very, very wrong.
    Anonymous

• I have tried to watch it a few times, I just can't seem to get through it... Honestly it angers me so much I have to turn it off... However I agree with you. Children do need a wider view of the world. I have no issue with people teaching their religion to their kids, I think that's normal. But to teach that your belief is the only thing in the world that matters is not only misleading to children but is ill-equipping them for life in a world full of alternatives... It spreads ignorance and hate - two things I simply can't stand...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on May. 28, 2010

• i read "The New dare to Discipline".... And I about fell over in my chair when I read something in the lines of if you want a child to follow your religion path, the best thing to do is get them involved in it before age 5......I cant remember all what was said but pretty much a childs brain before the age of 5 is more mold-able (easier to brainwash) & the chance of what you teach them before age 5 will stick to them stronger than if they were introduced into religion at a older age.. Kids that are introduced at an older age may have more problems committing/ believing in the religion & may question more..

It totally rubbed me the wrong way...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:31 PM on May. 28, 2010

• i think i saw that in a sociology class. its the one mainly about the evangelical christians right? yeah, that movie was Fd up! i completley agree with you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:33 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I hope and pray Jesus will help you with the anger you portray in your words

Anonymous

• The people who send their kids to that camp should lose custody - it is flat out mental abuse. What's sad about it is that they are so caught up in the show of it they don't even realize how horrible it is. Better they impress their fellow parishioners by having the most bible banging kids on the block than acknowledge how outrageous those conditions are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I saw the show and it is so darn freaky. And as you can see with your first answer there are a lot of people who think it is perfectly fine to expose their children to environments like that. I see nothing wrong with having a child involved in your religion but please expose them to other people for goodness sakes. If they do not learn to deal with other people and other cultures that is not preparing them for anything else in life but being fearful and close minded.  So what if a child grows up and decides to be of a faith that is not the same one as their parents. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:35 AM on May. 29, 2010

• you know what I thought was so funny about that movie??? they hate harry potter right? then one of the families had a LOTR books sitting right on their table. how's that for hypocrisy? lol
    I have nothing wrong with religion and my children will go to church- but what they're doing to those kids is WRONG.
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 3:50 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I hated going to church going up, I was the one dreading every sabbath... I am Christian, I want to raise my kids as such. But as I read the bible we are supposed to teach our children to love God and respect God. God says in the bible to NOT exhaust our children, also I read throughout the bible that come to God is YOUR PERSONAL choice! So if my kids one day say no mommy I don't want to go to church then yes it will break my heart but will I force them... NO! Because God is not to be force fed, God doesn't want to be force fed wants wants willing hearts to accept him.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:25 AM on May. 29, 2010

• There is a whole spectrum of people who raise there children in a religious home, the same with people who raise their children in a non religious homes. It's great to give your kids information and allow them them room to define their own beliefs, but by being so anti-religion you could also argue you are brainwashing them to dislike all religion.  If your children decide they want religion you have to be willing to embrace that too, even if it goes againstyour own beliefs.  I have not seen the movie but I'm sure it only portrays one form of extreme use of religion in a home, and that's not the way it is for most people.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:08 AM on May. 29, 2010