my 8 month son's testicle is bigger on the right side and discolored

does anyone have any idea as to why....
anyone else experienced this?
normal? or should I call his doctor

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:32 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your doctor. I don't think it's normal. It may be, but I'd rather be safe.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:38 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I would go to the doctor to see if there is anything wrong. Just to be on the safe side
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 11:38 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Not normal, I would call the doctor. But I will add, DH has one a little bigger than the other. Somehow his mom found out when he was around 12. She took him to the doctor. A women doctor came in to do a u/s on it to check it out. He wouldn't let her near it! The male doctor was out to lunch. So we have no idea why one is bigger than the other. He refuses to this day to have someone look at it.
    Anonymous

• Sounds similar to what happened to my oldest son when he was 15 months old, it turned out to be a hernia. You need to take him in.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:27 AM on May. 29, 2010

• MY SON AT THE SAME AGE, HAD HIS LEFT TESTICLE SWELL A LIL AND TURN BRIGHT REDISH PURPLE. HE WAS ALSO EXTREMELY FUSSY. HE HAD A TWISTED LEFT TESTICLE. HE HAD TO BE RUSHED TO EMERGENCY SURGERY TO UNTWIST IT. IF IT ISNT IMMIDIATLY UNTWISTED HE COULD LOOSES IT BECAUSE HE HAS LOST ALL BLOODFLOW TO IT. TAKE YOUR SON TO THE ER NOW!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 10:58 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Sounds similar to what my 2 year old has. It's a hydrocele. Definitely a good thing to get checked out right away.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:23 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Thanks everyone for your responses! I called the nurse hotline through his insurance and she told me to take him to the ER because she thought it could be twisted like some of you had mentioned. when we finally saw the doctor she thought it was a hernia and prepared me for news that he would need surgery in a few weeks BUT after the ultrasound it's decided it's only a cyst! they dont think he'll need it removed and its fine. They want me to take him to a urologist in a few weeks, but he's fine :) Just letting y'all know.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:51 PM on May. 30, 2010