How do I get my daughter, who suffers from Acid-Reflux to sleep more comfortable at night?

Since she was born my daughter has had acid-reflux. She can not sleep soundly through the night because she is so uncomfortable. Can anyone help?!

MiaLynne08

Asked by MiaLynne08 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she? Does she still sleep on her side or back? If yes, have you tried using a foam wedge to keep her upper half slightly elevated? If not, you can purchase upholstery grade foam pieces inexpensively at any larger craft or fabric store like JoAnn Fabrics. Purchase a piece that will fit snugly to the WIDTH (short side) of her crib. Cut/shape the foam like a cheese wedge, and place UNDER her fitted sheet/mattress pad. I did this for my older son who CONSTANTLY spit up, until he started walking--worked like a charm! I was also able to continue to use the foam supports that keep infants from rolling over on to their front.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• If your baby doesn't take a pacifier, consider using it. Even though it becomes a sleep crutch, the sucking motion descreases the acid from coming back up. Also, feed her at least 30 minutes before bedtime, keep her upright until then, and put her down on a mattress that is raised to a 30 degree angle. We purchased a pad like the one described in the other answer and it worked well for us. If the acid is painful, consider seeing the pediatrition for a medication to reduce the ph of the stomach acids.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Prescription zantac for infants.

Also, raising one side of the bed as an earlier poster said.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• if you breast feed i had that issue and i would just drink apple vinger it helped my child i had one teaspoon of the vinger and water and did it several times it worked like a charm i did in once a day for a week and our child was fine but ask the doc
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• We bought a cousion thingie that kept his head elevated.
    noahsmom08

Answer by noahsmom08 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• we had to have my first put on meds and have her crib elevated. my seconds bassinet is elevated
    acoster

Answer by acoster at 6:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• The wedge is great. Also at mom4life.com they have a thing called a colic belt that's supposed to help with the acid problem
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• you can also try putting baby in carseat
    bttrfly8605

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2008