Am I selfish because I don't feel up to a cross country plane ride with my 23 month old (to see relatives that haven't met her yet)?

The very thought of making the trip with my fiesty 23 month old makes me tired. She at that "tantrum" phase, and gets set off by every frickin' little thing. I can't imagine her sitting for 7 hours on a cramped plane, with no place to run around and play.

But financially, it's makes sense for me to make the trip, instead of having my 30 family members fly here to see ME. They really want to see her, and I want her to see them.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow, way to make me feel as if im not alone :)

My son is going on 21 months old, and he, too is in a tnatrum phase, and hubby wants to fly to Illinois to see HIS family, whom have never seen our son except for in pictures.

But we decided to go, but for our trip there, were taking an EARLY flight that way he can sleep for part of it, and eat and color/watch movies the other part. and on the way home we picked a late night flight so he can sleep .
    Your might want to try taking coloring books if she likes that or a mini TV and take her fav movies [this is what were gonna do)

Anyways Good Luck .
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 12:35 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Fly at night when your toddler will fall asleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I agree with gail... you can make it doable. I know the thought of it is daunting, but you can make it into a fun adventure and she will most likely be fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:04 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I do not think you are selfish. I think that technology is a Wonderful thing and for WAY less then you would spend on a plane ticket you could do webcams! I would not want to be on the plane with MY 23 month old......OR someone else's! LOL. If their ears pop they cant tell you whats wrong...the scream. And you are just thinking of once you are ON the plane! When I think of getting through the airports coming and going I am exhausted FOR you! Good Luck but if it were me I would be looking into some technology to make the visit :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:36 AM on May. 29, 2010

• DD had been on 20 flights by the time she was 23 months. She's been to Hawaii 2x once at 11 months and once at 23 months and that is a 6.5 hour flight. We survived it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I hear you!! There are days when I won't even go to the store because I don't want to deal with tantrums. All of my kids, except for my son, have flown cross country or trans oceanic and some times were better than others. It sounds very overwhelming though for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Send a pic...your relatives will get over it. If they want to see her, they can come to you. Flying with a child that age can be a nightmare-esp for 7 hours.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Well, the flight is such a small portion of the whole experience...you and your child are lucky to have family who really want to see you and her! Focus on how wonderful it will be for her to have all that love and attention, and hopefully actual relationships with the extended family. Pictures can't do that!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:11 AM on May. 29, 2010