My breast are leaking, and I'm not pregnant...

I have a Mirena IUD, which I've had for about 2 years. My son is 3. I've taken pregnancy tests, and all negative, over the past 6 months or so. But from time to time my breasts leak what seems to be colostrum. Kindof a filmy clear, sticky feeling liquid. Not very often, but maybe once every month or two. When it happens, I can squeeze and get more out, from both breasts. Usually it's the right one, though, that suddenly leaks on my clothes. Is this normal? I'm down visiting family for the next month, but plan on seeing my gyno when I get home, unless I need to go to the ER here? (can't see a doc cause of ins.) Has this happened to anyone else? Or any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Health

• It may be dangerous discharge not related to breastfeeding. It's crazy to go to the ER and pay maybe thousands of dollars because you don't have a doctor. You could go to Planned Parenthood or a clinic that charges on sliding fee based on income. If you tell them you are having breast discharge you may be seen quick. You could go to an urgent care center, MUCH cheaper than the ER. One of the warning signs of cancer is discharge. I would get it checked right away.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:21 AM on May. 29, 2010

• double check with your doc. this happened to me a few yrs ago and my son was 5 and i did not bf him . but it was collostrum, and I wasnt preg,. it can happen with nip stimulation but shouldnt happen all the time. talk to doc, no need for the er ;).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:25 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Ok, I did BF, but only for about 3 months. Its possible that it may be stimulation, since I've only ever noticed it when I'm wearing a big T-shirt with no bra. And if its cancer would it be both breasts? One more than the other, but its the same one that leaked the most during pregnacy, when it was normal. I could call the night nurses, I guess. But I haven't got a doc yet since we moved. I dunno, I hate when weird stuff happens, then I have to worry, lol. Thanks for the input, I guess I was hoping someone would come on and say "yeah, thats normal, it happend to me..."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on May. 29, 2010

• yes, something like that did happen to me. I had never been pregnant at the time. They only leaked for a short time and it wasn't much. Maybe for a few weeks then it went away on it's own. Sometimes it's just a horomone thing. I never got checked out for it, but it would probably be a good idea just in case.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 5:09 PM on May. 29, 2010