How is it 10 min. after I pump that my newborn is still able to get milk out?

I didnt pump with my first but do with my second to keep my milk supply up high and I noticed the other day when I had pumped like over 5oz that only 10 or 20 minutes later my daughter was able to get milk out if both breast. I could feel the let down and everything. I just thought that since I was able to get so much milk out that there wouldnt be any left. Is this just a normal thing?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:17 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep normal for some, who are lucky lol. store it up. thats really great mom! good for you :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:23 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Breasts aren't milk containers. They are modified sweat containers. When they get the message from the brain to make milk and shoot it out, they do it. Some women can feel three or four letdowns in one feeding.

You don't need to pump to have a good supply. Believe in your ability to make plenty of milk and your baby's ability to stimulate the amount she needs. Pumping actually upsets the supply and demand balance of breastfeeding. Pumping can cause sore nipples or breasts.

If you have too much milk from pumping your baby won't suckle enough, that will cause your body to make less. Then you would have to pump to try to catch up. But pumping isn't as good as the baby and you can't make up for the baby sucking less.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 AM on May. 29, 2010

• OP.... I have two reasons for pumping #1 I dont want my daughter to have to wait on my milk like my son did when her appetite increases #2 I store it for my three year old because its healthier then cows milk. I wouldnt want my milk to go to waist anyway because I exlusivly breast feed.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:35 AM on May. 29, 2010

• OP..... Yes she has reflux and she was just put on a new medication to see if that will help. Its called Previcid but she actually does fine when my milk lets down, its later that sometimes she gets air in and has to stop nursing. It all depends on how shes sucking cause sometimes she does fine the entire time shes feeding and others not so well. Her main thing is the reflux and were working on getting that fixed and she is does get colic sometimes we just try and burp her more often which also helps with the reflux. Thanks for your advice, I actually used to have to pump my let down milk befor feeding her cause it was crazy how much was coming out but everything is going good now to where she can feed from begining to end.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:50 AM on May. 29, 2010

• To answer your original question yes, it is normal. The breasts produce milk as they receive signals to do so. So even if you completely empty your breasts by pumping and the baby wants to nurse five minutes later, your breasts will produce more milk in response to the demand of the baby. It's all about supply and demand. I will say only this about pumping to increase supply, and it isn't a criticism or anything and I'm not trying to change your mind, just saying: pumping to up supply/maintain supply is not necessary; all you really need to do is nurse on demand and your body will keep up with the demand and increase production as demand increases. Kudos for giving the extra to your three year old though, I think that's so neat :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:02 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Your breasts are constantly making more milk, and a baby's mouth is much more powerful and efficient than a pump. You will never ever be truly empty - even if you think you are you baby can get something out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I had that. I could pump, and then immediately satisfy my baby from the breast right afterwards, if I had to. It was great. I gave the milk to my older children, too. And I loved the side effect that when a growth spurt happened, I had the milk already, just couldn't pump as much for a while, because DD was drinking it all.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:34 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Yes, it is normal because your breasts are always making milk! It sounds like you have an oversupply of milk which can lead to baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. This will cause reflux like symptoms as well as a fussy gassy baby. Check out the info at Oversupply and reflux

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:40 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Milk is made WHILE you nurse. Thats how. And now that you see that, I think you might find it unnecessary to pump for her, for the reason you stated. If you want to pump for your older one, that's great, but know that you don't NEED to do it for the baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:49 PM on May. 29, 2010