Why would a GI nurse tell me this?

GI is a gastro doctor for like stomach problems and we just recently took our 6 weeks old to her because she has reflux really bad and the pediatrician had refered us. After talking about what steps were going to take next she asked if I breast fed and I said yes no bottle just breast. She told me that she is all for nursing but that she wants me to start giving one formula bottle a day just incase something happens to me like Im hospitalized and cant nurse cause of antibiotics ot my milk supply just decreases out of nowhere. I have no medical problems or anything and she knows that cause she asked me so I dont know why on earth she would say that. I told her I didnt think that was going to happen but that I would think about it. Im a mother that feels very strong about breastfeeding so that was very offensive to me cause the way she was saying it was that I need to give her a bottle and she would not let up on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I could see why see might say one bottle a day in case there was ever any instance that you had a medical issue and needed to pump and give a bottle. But I don't understand why she would say formula. If you ever do have medical issues you can use frozen breast milk.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:30 AM on May. 29, 2010

• That is really bad advice. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended. That means no bottles, no formula. I breastfed my 3 children a total of 10 years. They never had a bottle, never had formula. The first 2 there was never any problems. I became very ill while I was pregnant with my third. I had to be on like 10 meds when he was a newborn. There are very few meds that you can't breastfeed. When my baby was about a month old I got pneumonia and septicemia. I nursed him in my hospital room during the day and a friend nursed him at night since he was so young.

I was diagnosed with immune deficiencies and started having to have IVs with gamma globulin (immune factors) every 3 weeks. It takes about 8 hours for the IVs. Then I had cervical cancer and surgery. My baby had several hospitalizations. I took 10-15 medications the whole 3 years I nursed him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:38 AM on May. 29, 2010

• OP.... My point is, is that something could happen to me anytime of the day but I dont live life thinking that way. And yes she said formula because she seems to think that somthing might happen to me to where I wont have any milk left and thinks that if shes given formula now that she will take better later. She said she tells everyone that but thats just offensive to me and I hope other moms arent taking her advice. Trust me if somthing was to happen to my milk supply or me my baby would take to formula of starving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Don't listen to your stupid Dr! Many times they feel since they have a medical degree they're the ones who know the most. Keep breastfeeding & cross that bridge IF & when you get there, don't know of any kid that's gonna let themselves starve to death, she'll switch to the formula if you give it to her when she needs it! Stupid dr....the thought process of alot of these "professionals" really pisses me off! It is a service I'm paying for, yes I'm asking for your OPINIONS! No I'm not always gonna agree w/ the dr & they need to not roll their eyes or think I'm a horrible mom for not wanting to listen over matters like this! Glad I found a wonderful pediatrician, now just gotta find a great doc for me. GL mamma & if it were me I'd be looking for another dr who listens to what I have to say & treats me like an individual capable of having an intelligent thought on my own!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:54 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I think that was simply that doctor's opinion and you don't have to listen to it if you don't want to! I am not a breastfeeding fanatic or anything like that, but I still think that advice was based on misguided fear or something like that. I don't think you would find too many enlightened pediatricians giving that advice. Although many will go with the mother's feelings on breastfeeding and follow her lead. Just do what you think is right and healthy for your baby.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:08 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I say stick to your guns. Dont do it. And tell her to shut her yap next time ;)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:46 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Follow your gut and ignore her advice

Answer by admckenzie at 12:23 PM on May. 29, 2010

• That GI dr has not looked at the research on on how just one bottle of formula completely alters the gut flora of a breastfed baby Check out Occasional Bottle of Formula

Very few medications interfere w/ breastfeeding.  You could get hit by a bus tomorrow too.  If something happens you can deal with that then!

I always suggest anyone who has a breastfed baby w/ reflux look at the info Oversupply to see if it applies to you.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Okay, honestly, I would REPORT that nurse. Especially since she is a GI nurse - giving formula willy nilly to a breastfed child just to get them "used" to it, just in case, is HORRIBLE advice. A newborn's gastro-intestinal system is so sensitive, and introducing formula unnecessarily is just going to make things worse. Especially since the mothers seeing this woman already have children with GI issues. This makes me LIVID. She does not need to be working in a GI clinic.

As for the reflux - have you looked into Overactive letdown possibly being the cause of the reflux symptoms? This is a very common problem for breastfed babies, and often misdiagnosed as reflux.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Does she get a kickback?
    (seriously.)

>:-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:48 PM on May. 29, 2010