Autism question

Hi I am trying to figure out what the board that people keep telling me to try is called? They say i get a board and get pictures of common stuff that my child would do and needs to ask for but can't. Do you know where i can get his info also?

magnane

Asked by magnane at 12:47 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Health

• http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=communication+board&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CsPvZCPgATJvwIqDSgwSb6py5CAAAAKoEBU_Q5QBG&fp=1328cd8acda262ff
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on May. 29, 2010

• They're called PECS - Picture Exchange Communication System, and there are many variations of it. I just drew my own pictures & laminated them, then used velcor medallions to stick them to a carboard backing I made. On the back of the cardboard I put an envelope for a pocket to store the pictures. To use as a daily schedule, I would choose pictures of the day's activities & put them in order on the front of the cardboard, then as we did each activity, my son would remove the pic for that activity & put it back in the pocket on the back. If we were working on a task that had multiple steps, I put pics of each step in the order they needed to be done on the front of the board, then as my son completed each step, he'd remove a pic & put it in the pocket on the back. Etc., etc.....I'm sure you'll come up with loads of ways to make use of this very useful tool.
    Anonymous