Is there a way to tell my daughters that they are gaining weight?

They are 17 and 18 and they are really putting on the pounds and really don't know how to tell them they need to watch what they eat.
They will snack while I'm cooking then eat a big plate of food. I tell they do not need to snack while I'm cooking and they just tell me they are starving. I tell them to wait til dinner is done and they just can't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I agree with most of the PP's. Buy ONLY healthy foods for your household. If the foods are not there, then they can not eat them. But apples, pears, low fat yogurt (don't buy fat free dairy), raw baby carrots, celery hearts, etc. Keep baggies of cut up washed veggies in the fridge ready for them to grab. Have some baggies of grab and go fruits like grapes, cherries, etc ready to go also. If they want a snack while you are cooking, simply tell them no unless its still more than an hour til dinner. If it's not then they CAN wait you just need to enforce it. Make your dinners healthier too. Make sure you are not adding too much fat or too much meats (a meat serving is 3-4 ounces, not like the 6-8 ounce chicken breasts and steaks and chops we normally consider a serving). Lean proteins should take up 1/4 of a small dinner plate, veggies 1/2 and healthy carbs 1/4 (whole grains, baked potatoes, etc).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:15 PM on May. 31, 2010

• just say that

"watch what you eat"

or just tell them to wait while you're cooking
    etc.

or you can just tell them they are gaining a lot of weight
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:15 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I think they probably know they are gaining weight. Why not enroll in a nutrition class together where they can learn to make healthy choices and about portion control, and maybe an exercise program. Make it fun, learn to make healthy meals together. Don't buy foods they shouldn't be eating. When you are cooking put out a veggie platter for snacking on, maybe some fresh fruit.

They are at ages where it's difficult for you to control what they do, but you don't have to provide fattening and unhealthy foods, and you can offer them opportunities to learn and have better eating habits.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:51 AM on May. 29, 2010

• chances are they already know. maybe sugest walking with them on a regular basis or some other exercise or sport.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:56 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Simple. "YOU'RE FAT!!! PUT DOWN THE BAG OF DORITOS AND STEP AWAY!!!"
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 3:00 AM on May. 29, 2010

• no.. and be sensitive, because all it takes is one comment to trigger an eating disorder.. just appreciate that they are healthy, and do your best to provide HEALTHY foods for them..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on May. 29, 2010

• stop buying snack foods so if they do snack, its fruits and veggies. Start walking as a family.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 6:45 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I think tomib has the right idea!

Answer by older at 9:53 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Yep, don't bring the food into the house, keep a food scale in the kitchen and measure ALL their portions.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:25 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I agree with not buying junky snack items if your teens can't control themselves. Keep cut up fruit and veggies on hand instead and be sure to cook healthy meals in a healthy way.
    When they notice that their clothes are getting too tight and they either have to spend their own money to buy more or ask you to buy more but you say no because you are budgeting a clothing allowance, perhaps that will be an incentive for them to do something about their weight instead of accepting it.
    Also, pay attention to them without them noticing...are there any withdrawal or negative teen issues wreaking havoc on their emotions? Teenage emotions run high and they are more susceptible to depression than most people.
    Perhaps get them into an activity before dinner time so they work up a healthy appetite and then walk together as a family.
    Hope this helps a bit :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:58 AM on May. 29, 2010