I feel like it is my calling in life to be a nurse for soldiers, but i'm torn between that and my family.

I'm only 19, I have a young daughter and my SO to think about. I've never wanted to do anything more in my life than take care of the people who serve our country. But I can't miss out on my daughter's life because I doubt i'll be able to do it in the US. Can anyone give me any info about doing this line of work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• There are LOADS of military hospitals in the US, serving active duty AND veterans. There's probably a VA hospital near you. Do you already have your nursing degree? That'll be step one. And if you do, then check out usajobs.com to see what's available. I did a search there for my state and found 119 nursing jobs, through Veterans Affairs and through the US Medical command.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Honestly, if this is what you want to do, you have a few options. You could join the military - there are programs where they can help you get your nursing degree (I know they're available, but I don't have a lot of details on those exact programs - you could look them up though). You could join the military as a Corpsman or a Medic (depending on your branch of service).

Or, you could work as a nurse in a VA hospital.

Of course, serving in the military will involve deployments, but other than when you sere deployed, you would be able to have your dd with you (we're a military family and right now we live overseas - my dh who is Active Duty, me - a SAHM and Navy vet, and our 2 teens).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:28 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Get your RN degree before you join the military. That way, you go in as an officer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Well, I am having the same thoughts about joining the Naval Reserve.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 11:11 AM on May. 29, 2010

• your family comes first. You chose to have a child, and cannot abandone them for your carrer. Maybe start a nursing degree online while you are at home with your child, and go from there.
    Anonymous