So my son is very smart, but when it comes to doing individual work @ school he will find excuses not to do it. He won't focus, can it be adhd? How can I help him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No it is not ADHD. It is a kid who does not want to do what ever is being asked of him. Normal kid stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Don't jump right to ADHD...how old is he?? What grade?? How r his grades?? My son is finishing 1st and he can also be a pain about getting his work done--I think it's normal for boys....mine has a problem with organization so we've been working on that and it's improving. What does the teacher say??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 29, 2010

• he is in 2nd grade, all grades are passing exept math and reading , because of incomplete work, he was close to being retained but his teacher argued that he knew the work, his grades were low because of incomplete work, its just to the point that everything has been taken away and it didn't motivate him to do better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 29, 2010

• hmmm....something is bothering him....do you work with him after school?? Has his teacher given you suggestions?? Some kids, boys esp, need interest in what they are learning to do it. Talk about what his interests are and see if you can incorporate that into his work...
    is there anything going on in school or at home?? Issues Problems? Does he have friends and such??
    Work with his teacher to see about fixing this now...it'll get harder as he gets older.
    Also, have you tried positive rewards instead of punishments??
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 9 yr old he just does not want to do his work!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:59 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I was lazy. I had no problem doing the work in school. I refused to do my homework. I hated the fact that they changed the grading system from focusing on tests to focusing on homework. "Oh, you did your homework? You get a 100." Ignore the fact that the kid got every answer wrong, they still get great grades because they did the work. I was diagnosed with ADD right after Ritalin came out and EVERY kid was diagnosed ADD. When I became a pre-teen, the Ritalin started acting as a speed instead of helping me focus. Why? Because I am not ADD. Kids don't typically like to study or do school work. Some are more stubborn about it than others. Just because they won't do their work does not make them ADD/ADHD.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 2:33 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Maybe he is bored. I was and after I was tested (at 8 years old) they gave me more challenging work and I was ok.
    BornToRun84

Answer by BornToRun84 at 2:46 PM on May. 29, 2010

• sounds like he's just bored in school -try and make school work time right when he gets home from school, if ya wait more excuses will pop up and it will not get done. Mine is trying that on me right now.. he's 11 and I tell him grab a snack and sit down and get it done ,then we will go outside..etc.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 1:07 PM on May. 30, 2010