Do you try to find humor in everything? Even painful things?

My sister and I both do. For example, our mom recently left our dad. She's having some kind of mid-life crisis. While I've been married almost 5 years, my sister is still in college and living at home, so she gets the worst of it. Anyway, everytime my mom knows that nobody will be home, she sneaks by and takes some stuff (pictures, jewelry, small furniture, etc.). My sister and Dad find it terribly annoying to come home every day and try to figure out what, if anything, is missing. So, in order to put humor into it, we equated it to Dane Cook's B&E (breaking and entering). It fits quite well, and enabled us to have a good laugh over the whole scenario.

Anyone else?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:17 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I try to find a reason to laugh even if things aren't quite laughable.

Two examples off the top of my head:

My dad (who I was very close to) passed away in 2000. I grew up in the 80's & he would make fun of bands like Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and Poison who wore makeup & would tell me "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing makeup". Well, when he died the mortician had to use makeup to give my dad some color and as I stood over his casket I turned to my husband & said "well, he was wrong, he WAS caught dead with makeup on" & I laughed because it just struck me & strikes me as funny. Others might not, my dad would have found it funny though as I inherited his sense of warped humor.

The second was when I had my thyroidectomy (had thyroid cancer) in 2005. I had a rather large incision on my throat and the Reach toothbrush commercials would come to mind. I laughed about sneezing and turning in to a "Flip Top Head". LOL
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:04 PM on May. 29, 2010

• i don't necessarily look for the humor in situations, but i DO try to look at things with a positive perspective. Life is too short to be negative about things all the time
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 11:25 AM on May. 29, 2010

• ya, i do. it makes life easier to survive. if dh and i see people arguing and we cant hear them sometimes we make up our own words. it can be pretty amusing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 29, 2010

• yeah,I'm like that

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Well, since physical pain makes me giggle, yeah. :D Gotta look at the bright side of things, or you just die miserable.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Yes. It's my coping mechanism. If I didn't I'd stay depressed!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 PM on May. 29, 2010

• CHANGE THE LOCKS ......ME AND DH DO THIS ALL THE TIME .WE HAVE SPONTANEOUS ADVENTURES AND THEY ALWAYS TURN OUT HORRIBLE WRONG WITH US STOPPING FOR DIRECTIONS TO A PLACE NOBODY KNOWS OR KNOWS WHERE ITS AT ......BUT WERE ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ....AND HAVE FUN THE WHOLE TIME !
    Anonymous