What to give grieving parents?

My cousin just gave birth to a baby girl who then passed away just after she was two days old. We want to do something for her, get them something or maybe donate something in remembrance of the baby but am unsure what. Anyone have any suggestions for a situation like this?

Erica912

Asked by Erica912 at 11:34 AM on May. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe make a donation to march of dimes in the baby's name. and make sure if they need anything, even just to not be alone, you are there for them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:42 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I have a lovely statuette of a baby nestled in a large hand -- God's hand -- that I found shortly after I lost my baby. I love it because it reminds me that although my baby isn't with me, he is with God and he is safe and happy and whole.

If your cousin is religious, and if you can find something like that, it might be something she would appreciate in time.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:48 AM on May. 29, 2010

• How about giving them a tree to plant in their yard ? A plaque could be made to show the baby's name and date and be placed under the tree?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:13 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I always thought if I lost a child I'd do one of those Name a Star thing where you name a star and get a certificate. It might sound a bit juvenile but I find comfort in looking at the stars. I even have the glow in the dark ones on my ceiling in my apt! My thoughts were that I could sit in the back yard and look up at the stars and "see" my star and think of the child I lost. That way there was some sort of visible connection, not just a memory. I'd probably talk to it when I was happy, sad, lonely etc too. Wow, I'm sounding a bit over the top today,huh? lol

Answer by admckenzie at 12:17 PM on May. 29, 2010

• When I lost my baby girl at 5 days old, the doctors and nurses gave me a jasmine plant. When I smell the blooms, no matter where I am, I automatically think of Whitley. Also another thing that as grieving parents, they are going to want to talk soon. Just listen to them. Dont ever make them feel like you are tired of listening or like you dont know what to say......just listen with an open heart. I think, 2 years after my baby died, that what hurts the most are people are done hearing her name, her name is like a curse word and you see people that inside are rolling their eyes because you brought it up yet again. Give them that someone that they can come to and talk about their baby even years after and be excited about hearing about the baby.
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 1:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Like the first poster suggested donating to the march of dimes is a great gesture, even if the baby wasn't premature. My parents lost their first child, a girl, just hours after she was born and then nearly lost me, my twin sister, and their next two children (both boys) because we were between 8 and 10 weeks premature. For some reason after my second eldest brother my mother was able to carry my other brothers and sister to term but my parents still make yearly donations to march of dimes in memory of my sister and also because of me, my sis, and two brothers who nearly died. My siblings and I all make a yearly donation to march of dimes and then we'll pick two other charities a year, this year it was St. Jude and my sister handled the other one which was one of the Autism foundations but I'm not sure which one.
    Anonymous

• www.labelledame.com has jewelry that you can personalize with names and birthstones. I've ordered from them before. My heart is broken for them and you. You're all in my prayers. ((hugs))
    Bethany123

Answer by Bethany123 at 10:21 PM on May. 29, 2010