• In the Spotlight:

how can I change my 5 wk old son's sleeping habits?

My son usually sleeps 1 hr to 1.5 at a time at night. A handful of times he actually slept for 3 hrs. What am I doing wrong? At night he wakes, nurses and then falls asleep but I don't think he nurses enough to keep him satisfied in order to sleep longer. While nursing he falls asleep. I wake him up him up to nurse more. He does wake up but wont nurse more. Please help. This is my first child and I don't know how to help the situation.

emirandme

Asked by emirandme at 11:42 AM on May. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is normal and he will start sleep more as he gets older and there really is nothing you can do but wait. Good luck. I know it is rough but it will be over sooner than you think and one day you will miss these days.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:44 AM on May. 29, 2010

• thats normal, liquid fills babies quickly but is digested just as quickly so they are hungry very often. you really just have to deal with it til he's on solids
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:46 AM on May. 29, 2010

• at 5 weeks there really is not much you can or should do. they are to young at that age to change and you should just let them have their own schedule. you are not doing anything wrong! your baby just doesnt like to sleep at night. once he gets a little older you can start keeping him awake in the afternoons and feeding him more before bed.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:46 AM on May. 29, 2010

• It is hard I know !! If you can try to keep the baby up more in the evening like after dinner until late like 10 or 11. Try to play with baby in evenings so he is awake more. Also try keeping him up more during the day. Maybe start a little schedule but do not be strict with it. May help you and him to know what the patterns of day are. This what I did and something my mother suggested because she would do this with us. It worked for me they did not sleep through the night but slept a couple hours at a time at night that is better then 1- 1 1/2 hours. You are doing nothing wrong so do not beat your self up. My third baby was the toughest to get to sleep good at night. Some babies it takes awhile to get the sleep thing down.

ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 12:08 PM on May. 29, 2010

• This is totally normal, you are not doing anything wrong! A few tips to try include: Try to encourage him to nurse more frequently during the day. If he can get more calories in during the day he may nurse less at night. Learn to nurse lying down and bring baby into bed with you so that you don't have to get up every time he needs to nurse. More info on this at Should I sleep with my baby?

It took me a few months to figure out that it was best to bring baby into bed with me with the first baby!  With the next 2 kids they came right into bed with me so they could nurse and I could sleep!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:32 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Co-sleeping when you're nursing a newborn is a lifesaver. At that age, they have really tiny tummies. They fill up really easily. But breastmilk is designed to digest easily as well, so it goes right through them. This is also a natural defense against SIDS. Many people don't realize that if the baby's tummy gets too full and stays full, they'll sleep deeper. The deeper the sleep, the greater the chance of infant apnea (baby stops breathing in its sleep). Its also why it's recommended that babies sleep on their backs instead of their tummy. Waking often prevents them from sleeping too deeply.

Many women note that when they co-sleep with their newborns it's so much easier to get a decent amount of sleep. Mom rolls a bit and puts boob in mouth then procedes to fall asleep while baby nurses.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 2:25 PM on May. 29, 2010

• New moms who don't educate themselves on infant and child development always amuse me...
    Anonymous

• Thank you to all of you who posted all the helpful and encouraging answers. As for anonymous......a coward who is brave enough to post moronic and sarcastic remarks but not brave enough to leave her name are even more amusing.
    emirandme

Answer by emirandme at 6:28 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I always made sure to feed mine a "full feeding" at each nursing session. I did everything to keep them awake - change their diaper, take off their clothes, etc. long enough to get in a good 20 minutes at least. During the day I woke them at least every 3 hours to eat and then at night let them sleep as long as they would. The more he eats, the longer it will hold him - just keep trying!

Answer by missanc at 7:01 PM on May. 29, 2010

• In answer to your title question? Wait till he's no longer five weeks! Though it;'s not much better at six...or eight...sometimes not even at sixteen....

Hang in there...you'll get a full night's sleep again in, oh...hmmm...about 70 years, I'm told....**grin** At least you're not alone!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 AM on May. 31, 2010