after getting a tattoo

after your done getting your tatt are u suppose to tip the tattoo artist.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:36 PM on May. 29, 2010

• i don't think so.... i have 4 tattoos and never tipped neither has my dh and he as 15 tattoos....they all cost over $100 each i figure they're making enough money off us lol
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 12:40 PM on May. 29, 2010

• i've never tipped an artist because all the money they charge for it goes straight to them plus there is shop tax, they don't live off tips like waiters. a tattoo costs enough and they make plenty off of them so they don't need tips
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:40 PM on May. 29, 2010

• it depends... i have 14 tats. some were done by friends outside of shops for 100% profit. for those i do not tip. in a shop that the artist does not own, i always tip. just like in a hair salon, most tattoo artist rent their space, so a big chunk goes to the shop itself. i always base my tip amount on the work itself, the attention given by the artist, and the waiting time. pretty much the same rules as a hair salon.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:45 PM on May. 29, 2010

• aliis actually the money does not all go to the artist. Who do you think keeps the electric on? most places are rented but even if they own it there is property tax! Really it does not all go to them. If it not the shop owner the owner gets a cut! I don't tip because my SO does my tats!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:45 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I have never tipped they make enough off of what they do.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 12:46 PM on May. 29, 2010

• depends if the artist did a good job and if they were attentive, i tipped for my second tattoo but not my first. they will not refuse your tip, that's for sure.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:46 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Yes I always tip, We have a great relationship with our tattoo artist.. and we would like it to stay that way lol.

And for the anon that says all the money does straight to them.. umm no it doesn't they have to pay to use the shop. Most rent a chair.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:48 PM on May. 29, 2010

• here goes the know it all 1177....
    Anonymous

• Tattoo artists are very special people who somehow think the world is a different place because they can draw flames on your butt. I have always tipped for my tattoos because they let me know how they feel about it. Also, never but never say anything they might misconstrue as contrary because they are notoriously sensitive and will throw your caboose out. My "artist" was very well know in the business and charged me $150 an hour. He took cigarette breaks whenever he felt like it, stopped to talk or use the restroom or eat lunch and still expected a tip. After a 3 hour session and a $50 tip ($500) I kindly requested that we make up the missing 35 minutes from my session next time and he threw me out. The owner agree with him and I was completely embarassed. These guys are nuts.... When I went to another tattoo shop several of the "artists" refused to finish someone else's work and I had a big prolem finding anybody to do it!
    Anonymous