Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medical assistant vs medical coder/billing

3 1/2 months ago i started a medical assistant program, i went into it thinking i'd be able to handle giving injections, but now that i'm doing them, i realize i can't, i don't like it, i don't want to do it, so i'm thinking about switching my program to coding and billing...anyone have any advice or info about this line of work? thanks in advance.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • I'm a nurse manager and the administrative assistant in my department is going to school for coding/billing. It seems to me that the schooling would be very different between that and med assisting. Maybe try to talk to people in each field to see what their level of satisfaction is with their chosen job. I work in administration more now, no shots....probably haven't given one single shot in 12 years. Do you think you can find a job where you don't have to do them (or at least hardly any) if that is the only thing you don't like? Just an idea.

    Good luck with your decision.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 1:18 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • I am a medical assistant and had to learn billing and coding too. Some offices don't give injections at all. I think just stick it out and you will find the rewards of it so much better. I can do the billing and coding and work with patients and love both aspects.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 2:40 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • I am doing medical billing one day a week for a friend (her spouse is a doctor); it took me about two hours to learn how. I don't understand why you would feel the need to pay someone to teach you to do this...


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • anon :21 because some states require that you have a license or certificate to be a coder/biller. A physician in some states who allows a person who is not certified can get in major trouble for allowing this to go on.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 9:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • First, find out what the certification requirements are for your state. If you can only be certified by taking courses only by colleges accredited by certain medical agencies then do not waste your time and money on a college not accredited by those agencies. AHIMA is a huge help with the certification requirements for a medical coder and biller.
    Do job searches in your area to find out which is more in demand.....medical assistants or medical coders and billers. For my area, it would have to be certified medical assistants (CMA) and most physicians will take them in as entry level employees and teach them their office procedures their way.
    I have a degree in both and I have to say that I have more flexibility as a CMA.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:11 AM on May. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.