Thoughts? Objective / Subjective Morality

Will you take 4.5 mins to watch this video? I will warn he momentarily slips and drops one f-bomb so not while the kids are around. And his screen name is Theoretical BS but he says the word at the beginning so just as an FYI. Otherwise he is respectful and thoughtful in his opinions.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on his comments here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmIF3l4rKlM

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous

• I agree with him the second morals become subjective you really do give up your right to debate or to even allow others to enrich your point of view. I liked the fact he used Mein Kampf to illustrate this as well. This is very interesting watching thanks.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:52 PM on May. 29, 2010

• My belief is that there are some actions that are morally wrong and not subjective, but many others that are subjective.

Murder for your own personal gain, torture, robbing an old women of her life saving, these are all morally wrong. It doesn't matter if Hitler thinks differently, I know they are morally wrong. This belief doesn't prevent me from discussing the other majority of beliefs, actions and personality traits that humans have or do.  I'm not stuck when it comes to most behavior, however yes I'm stuck when it comes to somethings because evil is evil in some instances even if Hitler couldn't or was pretending not to see it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:56 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Here is a good source for what I think at RZIM
    Anonymous

• As far as his comments, he is doing exactly what he hates. First you need to determine wether morals come God or not. He has determined in his mind that god is not real when he cant disprove his existance. Plenty of other christians think they have scientific proof of god and evolutionists or atheists think they have scientific proof too. So this guy thinks he is right and the christians think they are right too.
    Anonymous

• I thought I was going to watch this and be totally opposed to his argument. But, I have to agree with him. People say that there are objective morals but when pressed to provide examples, they all end up having qualifiers. Just one example: Murder is ALWAYS immoral (except when it's self-defense, except when it's state-sanctioned, except when it's war).
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 9:19 AM on May. 30, 2010

• FrogSalad I'm so pleased that you were able to hear him despite having a preconceived idea! That's great!

I expected there to be quite a few who'd disagree and I was hoping to hear their reasoning...IDK maybe I didn't make the post seem salacious enough!

Anonymous