six month old eating habits

I just recently started giving my six month old son baby food. The first two weeks he seemed to like it/ be interersted. Now he doesnt seem to want it at all. He is EBF and doesnt seem to be hungry. I dont think I should force the baby food but will keep trying. Do you think he is getting enough to eat from breastfeeding?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he isnt interested in baby food and is a happy baby then he is most likely getting plenty of good milk. I wouldnt stress as long as he keeps nursing and growing. You absolutely do NOT have to start solids at 6 months.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Yes. For the first year, nurse first, solids after. He gets everything he needs from nursing during that time, and solids are just extra.

My second was/is breastfed (now 13 months), and she didn't start solids until after 7 months, and went straight to table foods. No problems at all with growth/development. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:08 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern. He'll let you know when he is ready for more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:57 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Nursing is plenty. Solids are just for experimenting in the first year and should be offered after nursing. If she takes them, fine, if not, fine too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:40 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Are you giving real foods - banana, sweet potato, or avacado - and letting your baby feed himself?

Nursing isn't plenty, that's why babies need to start solids. It's not for experimenting or for fun or other such nonsense. Those kinds of myths were started by a baby food company and continue to be spread by mothers that don't understand infant nutrition. Every food you give your baby should be nutritious.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website that has starting solids info. Babies can't thrive on breastmilk alone for 12 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:25 PM on May. 29, 2010