kids foot question .... did you know this???

My son basically has "2 left feet" and no balance, can barely kick a soccer ball, etc. But he's otherwise very athletic and strong. He recently saw a podiatrist and we learned he needs a little help to get his feet to where they need to be. He's my 1st born and the podiatrist told us 1st borns often have feet/ankle problems, rarely the later born kids. Why? The uterus is smaller and things are tighter causing them to be more in the fetal position and more movement constricted. We were fascinated.... it explains a lot for us, he's not a clutz afterall. He needs better shoes, no more crocs, etc.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:56 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Ive never heard that! Just that babies shouldnt wear shoes that hinder proper growth. Good to know...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:57 PM on May. 29, 2010

• its all new to me!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:56 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I know my first-born child was born with her feet folded up inwards to her ankles and I had to exercise them all the time to get them to fold out right. She still has awkward feet and delicate ankles that bother her sometimes.

BUT, this is not true in all cases because I am my mom's first-born child and have absolutely no problems with my feet. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:01 PM on May. 29, 2010

• This sounds like a personal pet theory of the podiatrist's because there are plenty of first born children who don't have any problems with their feet.
    Anonymous

• Anon 2:32 She isn't saying ALL first borns. She is just saying it is more likely. Way to pay attention. haha
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:10 - I never said ALL first borns....Way to not be able to read! haha

What I did say, but not in so many words, is that I don't believe it is more likely to happen with first borns. How much room a baby has will have to do more with how a woman is built than whether she's born a previous child. Plenty of women get back into their pre-pregnancy shape after they deliver so there is no more room for the following children than there was for the first child. If you do your kegels, your uterus will shrink & if you do enough of them, those pelvic muscles will be stronger & tighter.
    Anonymous

• Interesting. Both my husband and I (both firstborns) had to wear corrective shoes when we were younger. My daughter wore them but she's the youngest of our kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on May. 31, 2010

• that's wierd bc my second son is the one who's feet point inwards and my ex had to wear braces to correct his feet and he was #3...... i think that's an opinion more than a fact
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010