irresponsible or a good example?

Is it irresponsible or is it setting a good example for a parent to go back to school to get a college degree when their child is in high school. If money is not an issue… meaning the degree will not change the family income to any huge extent. Is it setting a good example or is it irresponsible to use that money when your own child will need it for college in just a few short years. Is it morally right to use that money for a parent and then make the child take a loan?

This is the debate Im having with myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think it is right to take the money set aside for your kids school and make him take out a loan.

Answer by older at 2:02 PM on May. 29, 2010

• thank you... that was my thought
    OP
    Anonymous

• yes i think its ok. maybe after this degree the parent can help with kids school, or scholarships and grants are always an options
    Anonymous

• My dad took my college money and went to Europe. I was not a happy camper but it made me work to get my college degree. No one else helped. I did it on my own and am a better person for it. Kids shouldn't take parents and their money for granted. The child will be fine. Maybe the child will get a scholarship or find a grant or work-study program. It's not all bad.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on May. 29, 2010

• ad, I have to agree with you here. YOu saved the money and you should be able to use it especailly for an education. It is not like you are spending it on something that will not do anything for your life(sorry AD I don't think it was cool for him to use it for a vaca, howevere, it was his money so it was morally OK just not too cool) Anyway do it you saved the money and have you child save HIS money if he wants to go to college!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:11 PM on May. 29, 2010

• How many years until your kid goes to college? Does s/he have a job? Can s/he get loans? It is YOUR money and if YOU want to go back to school go for it! what if your DH died? would you be able to support your family with the education you have now? You kids can save money to go to college, they have years to do it. They will party away your money because they did not have to work for it. trust me on this one. I started college at 22 and seen this happen with 90% of the kids who had college paid for them.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• noahsmomma.... hubby makes a GOOD living and we have well over 2 mil in life insurance... which would get the kids out of the house before I would have to find a job. The oldest goes to college in 3 yrs the next in 5. I would maybe work for 5 yrs after college then it would be time to retire and travel. So Im thinking it really isnt worth dipping into the fund for only 5 yrs of work... I would only be working to replace what I took. That seems silly.

I think I just answered my own question...... thanks gals!!!
    Anonymous

• Kids who pay for their own school tend to take it more seriously. They understand that it's a financial investment. I'm not saying that they need to be put in a "sink or swim" situation or that parent's shouldn't help out, but just handing it to them isn't doing them any favors. If it's important to you to further your education, then do it. It's showing your kids the value of learning at any age. If you don't think it's worth it to go for a degree, then maybe just take some community education classes in an area that interests you.
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 5:11 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I don't agree with the idea that kids are "entitled" to a college fund... its great if you can help them out, but they should have some responsibilty in paying some of it- i believe kids who have to contribute to their college will it seriously, and appreciate any help their parents do give them... I see lots of kids who go to College and study something they never use, cos its just another couple of years living off Mom and Dad... you should study whatever you are interested in .. we are here to support our kids, but not to put our entire lives, dreams and hopes on hold and beneath them. As kids get older you have to teach them that aMom is entitled to a life too, that Mom is allowed to study to work, to pursue her interests too, otherwise how will they know how to create a balance when they become parents
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:20 PM on May. 29, 2010

• It is a VERY GOOD example. I am in college right now and my son is in 8th grade. Why would getting an education at anytime be considered irresponsible? That is just the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Education and knowledge is very important and kids need to see that. Also, a college education is NOT an entitlement for kids from a parent. I will NOT be paying for my son's education unless I have the funds to do so and then it will only be partial. He can get an education like millions of other kids, by earning the money and paying it on his own. Too many kids that parents pay for the education take advantage of those funds and waste their time and their parents money by screwing around.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 PM on May. 29, 2010