Does it bother you that...

I had 3 kids by age 20 and get $500 in food stamps and medicaid, even though my husband works full time? I could get a job, but then PA would be paying for my daycare costs. So I'll just as soon stay home until my youngest is in school. I'm going to college this fall for either radiology or ultrasound tech, and to pay for it I'm using grants. So, does it really drive everyone crazy that someone who does work still needs/gets help, even if they're bettering themselves? Does it make it worse that I'm a 22 year old welfare recipient than say, a 35 year old welfare recipient? And before anyone asks or assumes, yes, my husbands income is claimed on our PA. And yes, my husband did finish high school and yes, I have held down a job. I had to quit due to daycare reasons. My family was watching my kids then they had to quit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• You obviously think highly of your CHOICES. I too am happy with the fact that I finished my education (Masters Degree), established a great career, bought my own home, and waited until I was married (at age 32) to have my first child at 33 (with my husband who became a dad for the first time at age 39). Everyone makes choices that they feel are in their best interest. As long as you are content with your choices, who am I to tell you your choices were wrong! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:23 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Why should you get a free ride to school over a 20 year old who works hard and has to pay their own way? Because you where irresponsible and had 3 kids you should be rewarded?
    Anonymous

• You are just trying to stir things up. Most people do not care what you are doing. Most of what you are saying is probably a lie anyways.

Answer by louise2 at 2:22 PM on May. 29, 2010

• It should bother you.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:28 PM on May. 29, 2010

• OP here, first of all I am most certainly not lying. And fyi, grants are for anyone with a low income, not just people with kids. So anon 2:19 should study up on financial aid for school. And what exactly makes my story hard to believe? Right now my husband is sleeping because it's his day off, our oldest is watching Barney with our youngest and our middle child is in the process of getting dressed so we can go out and ride bikes. Also, I don't know of anyone personally who doesn't qualify for grants. So again, it's not just a young parent privilege. It's a low income privilege.
    Anonymous

• For me this is a what bob does question, what bob eats does not make me shit so why do I care. I would do what you have to do make your life better and move on.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:15 PM on May. 29, 2010

• And I am sure that you will look towards the government to fund your retirement, because you will never save enough money.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I think it was pretty stupid to have three children by the age of 20 when you obviously cannot afford them. Your husband must have a fairly low paying job if he works full time and your family still qualifies for PA. I have 4 children, went to college full time and work full time. Never needed the government to pay for to sit on my ass.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 9:59 PM on May. 29, 2010