How can i get my baby to ditch the bottle?

my son is 1 year old and still drinks out of a bottle. We've tried everytype of sippy cup out there. He refuses to hold it, even if i show him or help him hold it. I've tried hiding the bottles, putting water in the bottles, ect. He's so stubborn!!!! Is there anything else i can do?
He wont hold his bottle when i give it to him either

hollyann89

Asked by hollyann89 at 2:22 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd be more worried about the not holding it thing. I went cold turkey with my son.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:23 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Throw the bottles away and put a sippy cup in front of him. If you never give him another bottle he will drink from a sippy cup.

Answer by louise2 at 2:25 PM on May. 29, 2010

• My advice? YOU ditch the bottle for him! Seriously! When he gets thirsty enough, he'll figure out a way to drink from either a sippy cup or regular cup. You should feel as though you are in charge of the situation. As the parent you get to call the shots! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:26 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I agree with lorikeet... I just threw my kids bottles away as soon as they started walking and told them they were big kids now, big kids get cups...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

• If there aren't bottles in the house, then your child can't use one.

Give him a sippy cup with water, and call it a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on May. 29, 2010

• We just hold a small plastic cup and he drinks form that. He would never take sippys, etc.. HE doesnt get to lay donw or travel with a drink ever.. He just gets water or milk with and inbetween meals..
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 5:08 PM on May. 29, 2010

• My girl never had a bottle, but hates the sippies. I use a cup with a lid and a hole for a straw, (fast-food style) which I got at walmart. She can't run around with it because it WILL spill, but if she gets thirsty she asks for her cup and goes to sit in her little rocking chair to have a drink. The sippies are SOOO much easier, but with some kids you gotta adapt.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:53 PM on May. 29, 2010

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My oldest son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:16 AM on May. 30, 2010