Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seeking info on BAH, Housing, Moving to another state with out DH (army wives only)

Hi ladies. I have a few questions. My husband, my kids and i are living off post. my husband is going to get out of the army next year. He has his 90 days to look for a job and home (back home in los angeles) but we want to buy a house and get the home buyers credit but it ends April 30, 2010 but his 90 days start in August of 2011. Is there any way we can use WA state BAH to pay for our mortgage while he lives in the barracks and then when he comes home and hopefully has a job by then (a cop)?? I was going to get a Power of attorney so i can do all the paper work. I only thought of this because i want the home buyers credit. we were thinking of going home for vacation this year and look for homes meanwhile. but we want to know if we are allowed to use bah from here to pay mortgage for california? or does he get BAH for LA since im there?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (10)
  • If you move back home to LA. I think he can get BAH for that city. He needs to go talk to some one one post/base. Truthfully you should wait to buy a house tell you know he has a job after her gets out. Just start saving.
    We bought a house about 2 years before my DH retired from the Army. We ended up having to sell it, cause he found a job in a different state.

    Answer by louise2 at 2:53 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • Louise2- My husband and i are not going to move to another state. I would of loved to live forever in Wa state but he hates this state because there are no beaches, family is back home and its always cold. We are moving back home and he is looking into being a cop or a correctional officer in jails. So there is no other state we might move too because he loves los angeles. We dont have money to save. his paycheck isnt alot and all of it goes to food and bills. whatever is left over HAS to be saved until the next paycheck hits. We dont know who to ask for this type of info. if its Finance, Housing, His commander or all of them

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • Finance, or he can go ask his 1sgt. You do know the housing market in california is bad right now?

    Answer by louise2 at 3:00 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • LOL the housing market is not bad. We are not going to look for homes in areas that is bad. We are from Los angeles if you havent noticed. my mom is a real estate agent. There are a ton of beautiful brand new homes in San Bernardino County ( Hesperia, Victorville etc) that are huge and not expensive.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • He will get BAH based on where he is stationed.. not where you all are. They might not let him live in the barracks though especially if they are at capacity. He might have to get a studio apt. or something off post.

    Answer by ZaTa at 3:09 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • Sorry, but that sounds like a terrible idea. You don't have money to save, so you'll be relying on his BAH to pay the mortgage. What happens if he can't get a job immediately? You won't have the BAH and you won't have money in savings to pay for it. Also, you're awfully sure that you'll be able to get a house now and a job in the same place a year from now. You have no way of knowing that, and it sounds like wishful thinking.

    Really - what is the better decision? Getting a home buyers credit worth a few thousand dollars, or waiting until you can actually afford and have the means to support a mortgage?

    Answer by DusterMommy at 3:25 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • Your husband receives BAH for where he is stationed, NOT where you are located. What you do with that money is your business.. If you don't use it for a living situation for you and your family, that is your decision. The military doesn't really monitor what families do with the money. But you will receive BAH for where your husband is. So if there is a greater difference in the cost of living, I would not suggest it.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:42 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • ok, here's something you should look into. it's called "early return of dependents". ACS is a great resource for the info you are looking for. your hubby can be a geographical bachelor if you move without him, not sure if he would be allowed to live in the barracks, though. pretty sure the rule is no married soldiers in the barracks. he might not even get bah living in the barracks. Also, I know that if your soldier deploys and you go home you are supposed to collect bah for where you are, not where your soldier is stationed. not sure what the rule of if hubby is still stateside though. go to acs, they will be able to answer your questions and get you pointed in the right direction.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:34 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • I asked my DH about the BAH thing. He should be able to get BAH from where you are if you go back home.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:08 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • 2010 Basic Allowance for Housing Rates

    The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status

    I do not understand why people believe that BAH is based on where dependents are located. It is almost always based upon duty station. Very rarely can you get it different. EROD is suppose to be for soldiers stationed OCONUS whose family wants to come back to CONUS and generally prior to a deployment.


    Answer by ZaTa at 8:36 AM on May. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.