does eating out all the time make me a bad mother?

ok well i am a single mom and have a 6 month old daughter and i have my 11 year old sister liveing with me. and im only twenty and work two jobs. one part time job at a clothing store and another job almost full time at my daughters daycare so i have to leave for work at 8 and i get off at six and with my sisters cheerleading, gymnastics and soccer i just dont have time to get to the store let alone cook so i find us at a fast food restraunt just about every day. me and my sister are both extremely thin but im afraid all this eating is gonna catfch up with me. is this making me a bad mom/sister?

missjamie100

Asked by missjamie100 at 3:11 PM on May. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• First I would tell your sister only one activity at a time and calm things down. You don't have to be running around crazy. Second, I think it is very important for a family to have dinner time to sit down and talk about the day. Now you can do that anywhere but I do think it is very healthy for a family to do that. Eating out all the time, I assume you are talking about fast food. Get salad and bring your own dressing. Burger and fries here and there are not awful but eating them a lot is not good for you. Perhaps get a crock pot to make things in. Take a day to make soup and freeze it for other days. But no, you are not a bad mom/sister.
    Anonymous

• Well I would try and get healthy choices. Weekends make food. Oh you can also buy food like when you have 5 mins and at night after everyone is in bed whip something up and put it in the frudge and heat it up the next day. What my mom did when she worked was on the weekends she would make 5 days worth of dinners and freeze them. I would pop them in the microwave heat them up and my brother and I had home cooked meals. If this is not possible when you go out to eat get salads and veggies!!! They are VERY important!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:15 PM on May. 29, 2010

• No but you would have more money if you cooked at home. them maybe you could only work the full time job, cooking at home doesn't mean three course meal it means something anything hotdogs and mac and cheese, or beans and hot dogs or soup and sandwich or salads or hotdish or aything even eggs for supper is better that eating out all the time. You would definatly have more money if you didn't eat out.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:17 PM on May. 29, 2010

• You would save a crap load of money not doing it. Also, if you could see the inside of your arteries.. they might tella different story than the outside. All the sodium in fast food is really bad for your heart too.,

Do your best to make meals ahead of time.. dont do a lot of frozen and prepackaged stuff either.. just as bad as fast food.

Good luck. Take care of yourself and family.
    Anonymous

• I was a single mom and we ate out every night. My kids are all healthy and not over weight but then they have always been active and burned up the calories. I finally got fat with eating all that processed fast food after I hit 40 and was sitting around all the time so I don't eat like that anymore. It doesn't make a mom "bad" but most moms can always be better. Have you tried a crock pot or preparing a casserole the night before and heating it up when you get home? That might be a bit more healthy.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2010

• A bad mom not necessarily, but fast food is NOT good for you and not to mention the money you would save eating at home. I love my crock pot and use it at least 3 times a week.
    Anonymous

• Eating out no, eating junk food yes - though I wouldn't say you're a bad mom, just an overworked mom. Try healthier choices when choosing a place to eat, even mcdonalds has healthy-ish choices besides burgers, chicken and fries. Do you have any other relatives that could help out with your sister's sports, such as picking her up or dropping her off? I was 19 when my little sis moved in with me, she was 13 and I had just had my second child so I understand the hectic schedule. My sister did dance, gymnastics, and basketball. I was losing my mind but then she took it upon herself, seeing how hectic things were, and asked a team mates mom to provide transportation to and from basketball and my brothers took turns providing transportation for dance class.
    Anonymous

• More money? It cost about the same if not less...unless you're eating noodles everyday or something. It doesn't make you a bad mom/sister. Sure it's not the best food to eat..but alot of fast food places have healthier choices for people now. If you were anything like me to 20, you don't know how to cook more than a hotdog lol. I would try to get some easy cook books and on your time off, make something. Once you start to cook, you will start to feel like there is nothing to it. They have 4 ingrediant meal cook books that call for mostley canned food, so it's really easy to make. But don't feel bad for going out. You have alot on your shoulders at 20
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 3:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

• well it certainly isnt healthy.
    If you are so pressed for time try a crock pot.
    Or you could prepair a whole bunch of meals on a day off, even geting the 11 yr old to help, then freeze.
    take the frozen food out in the morning and it will be thawed by dinner time.

join one of the cooking groups here on cm
    Anonymous

• I don't think so, my family and I eat out a good bit. Most restaurants have healthy options now, from salads to grilled chicken! But there are also quick healthy items in the freezer section or you could make meals ahead and freeze them for quick preparation later. And fresh veggies (broccoli, carrots etc) steam up in minutes in the microwave! And you can precut them for a quicker prep time. But I don't feel it makes you a bad mom, just a busy mom!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:39 PM on May. 29, 2010