clothes

My kids are in desperate need of clothes I have noone to turn to for help. I just dont have any money leftover after bills to do anything and its so frustrating,we've had to sell most of what we have to pay our bills so we could keep a roof over our heads. Who do you as moms turn to when you need help!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on May. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are things like FREECYCLE, 2nd-hand stores, and sales at your regular department stores. I personally will not buy an article of clothing if it will cost more then $5.  I know that may not help much if you barely have enough to pay the bils, however you don't have to go on huge shoping trips. $5 here, $5 there. :)

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:21 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Can you try yard sales? We've had a lot around here lately and people put out kid's clothes really cheap- like 25 cents a piece. Also, do you have a local Goodwill? Any family, neighbors or co-workers who can give you hand me downs? Don't know if your kids are school aged, but asking at the school guidance counselor for suggestions might work, too. They are usually familiar with programs to help kids. Good luck. I hope things get better for you.
    Anonymous

• I have relatives who pass their kids clothes down to my kids!! Its a huge help...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:24 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I'd call a church and ask where the local Clothes Closet is. They are free

Answer by admckenzie at 3:27 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I get all my daughter's clothes from goodwill and thrift stores, don't pay more than a few dollars for any item of clothing. And like some of the others have said, yard sales are good. Do they need clothes because they've grown out of them, or because school is restarting soon and they need new clothes for that? Try buying them a little big so they can wear them longer. The adjustable waist thing is in most kids clothes on the inside and can be pulled in and let out for a long time. If it's just because school is restarting, let them wear the ones they wore last year, they don't HAVE to have new clothes for school. I also get a lot of Kiwi's clothes from my mom, when my little sister grows out of them. They are a little big, but for tshirts and such, it's cute for them to be a little big. Kiwi can wear a size 6x, but I buy her size 7/8, and she wear's my sister's old 10/12, and it looks fine.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2010

• what sizes do you need?
    Anonymous

• I get a lot of my kids clothes at yard sales, thrift stores (like salvation army and goodwill). I also pick over the Kmart/Target's clearance racks --sometimes I can find good bargains. I am also very fortunate that each summer and fall my mom will take my kids to the store and buy them a few new things for summer or for school.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:56 PM on May. 29, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 3:57 PM on May. 29, 2010

• i do freecycle, sometimes I find stuff sold as a "lot" on craigslist..you could try some clothes pantries!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:05 PM on May. 29, 2010

• craigslist is good for finding free or extremely cheap clothes. Depending on how old your kids are, Wal-Mart's Garanimals brand are about $3 a piece - we bought my daughter's summer wardrobe there for less than $50 (and we had to set aside a bill for an extra week to do that!) Garage sales are great for cheap stuff, and it is that time of year. Check with a local hospital or family services agency to see if there are any clothing or charity drives that you could be on the receiving list for
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 4:33 PM on May. 29, 2010