is there anything in avocado's unhealthy in excess?

My son is on an avocado kick. He ate a dozen since they were purchased less than 48 hours ago and it's not the 1st time this has happened. (Sliced plain, stirred in yogurt, whatever) He wants a crate from the farmers market ... is there anything bad in there? No one else will touch them, it's only him. I am quite certain he'd make it through the case before they went bad...

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:19 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• He will outgrow it...I wouldn't worry about it
    Anonymous

• Avocados are extremely healthy. They have high fat and calorie content but it's the good type of fat. I say let him eat as many as he wants. It's probably just a phase and he will let up eventually.
    Anonymous

• No, they are very healthy. I wish you'd talk him into telling my grandkids how good they are!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:25 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I used to occasionally make his sister try one teeny tiny bite every so often. Then eventually after eating a bite the size of a cheerio she puked her guts out. I never thought I'd ever buy another avocado and now, I buy 'em by the sack full
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:30 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I think anything in excess is bad for you. It has high amouts of GOOD fat, but you still don't want excessive calories. What avocados may have in them that are good is good, but what they are lacking and he's not getting may be bad. If it was a one time thing I wouldn't worry about it...but if it's a constant thing it wouldn't be something i'd let happen..
    Anonymous

• they very high in fat.
    they are also high in potassium which in excess is deadly
    Anonymous

• This phase will only last a few days, so don't worry about it.

My daughter went a week eating only frozen blueberries and hummus.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:58 PM on May. 29, 2010

• my 11 month old loves them too! Sometimes I put a little garlic salt on them.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 10:28 PM on May. 29, 2010

• It is probably a phase and will last a couple of weeks. If it seems to continue for months, then I would worry. Too much potassium is NOT healthy. Also, avacados are not healthy for diabetics.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on May. 29, 2010