why are so many people so against epidurals??

When i was pregnant and people asked whether i will use the epidural or not. and i was going to so i said so . i would either get a shake of the head or the tisk tisk tisk, or why would you do that???
i dont get . is using tylenol when you have a headache bad too, or aleve for arthritis. or some motrin for the monthlys.
to me its all the same or am i crazy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know why people have such a bad opinion of them. I used them with both of my boys and will use another one if I deliver again.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:54 PM on May. 29, 2010

• It amazes me how many people online go crazy when talking about how other women give birth. I go in planning to get an epidural, but I had one both times and I'm glad I did. I really don't care how anyone else gives birth.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• it's just better for you and the baby health wise not to, just like any other medicine. i would ignore people who did that. i'm sorry, labor hurts!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I can only presume that you thorough researched the possible side efffects of an epidural and felt that, for you and your baby, they were outweighed by the potential benefits for you and your doctor. Clearly, everyone does not feel the same way that you do. For instance, I was unwilling to risk potentially damaging my baby's ability to bond with me, an increased risk of a C-section, neurological issues, pain lasting a year or more, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:02 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Well, my main reason was that I like to labor in motion and the hospital that is closest doesn't allow that with epidurals. When I had DD I discovered that my pain threshold is a LOT higher than even I thought, so I just don't need them. I also don't take regular pain meds unless I'm in a lot of pain, because I don't feel pain as early as most people or as strongly. If you need it and have done your homework, it's none of my business.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:05 PM on May. 29, 2010

• WHat! I had 3 epidurals and they were wonderful.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:08 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I had epidurals with both my oldest kids, and when I have this one, guess what, I'm having a third... My body does not labor naturally, I don't make the right hormones. So that means I have to be induced... That's 16+ hours of hard labor, without an epidural I wouldn't make it... I don't do pain, like not at all! With them, I had completely pain free deliveries... I don't know why anyone would want to feel that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:13 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Hey i almost felt bad until that first real labor pain kicked in.. To each its own, do what you want to. I am about to have my second and i want the epidural ready when i walk in the door.
    fulldaymom

Answer by fulldaymom at 4:19 PM on May. 29, 2010

• People are stupid. They want to tell you how to do it because the only way to do labor is the way they did. Either that or they use it to make themselves superior. I'd get that too, "Well, I did it with nothing to to help the pain." blah blah blah.

Whatever, that worked for them, epidural worked for me without any of the listed side effects. Neither I nor anyone I actually know who has had one ever had any kind of side effect. They happen, of course, just like people die from taking tylenol but it's rare.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 4:36 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I would never do that to a woman having one. I had one when I had Kiwi. I'm more likely to ask how someone can do it without. My mom, when she had me and my brother, had us in an army hospital in '83 and '87, and when she asked for something for the pain, she was given two regular tylenol. I couldn't imagine. I had to ask for them to redo mine because it was starting to wear off. The anesthesiologist told me I should have thought about the pain before I got myself knocked up, he didn't believe in epidurals for pregnancies. I shoved my wedding ring in his face, told him the baby was conceived on our wedding anniversary, then punched him in the crotch, telling him he should have thought about what he said before talking shit to a woman in labor. I got a new anesthesiologist after that! I just ignored everyone who told me to have it med-free. My body, my choice. If it was bad for the baby, I'm sure they wouldn't offer them.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:50 PM on May. 29, 2010