Do you think organized religion tends to push an "Us Against Them" type of belief?

It seems to me that each organized religion tends to push this same point... You're either with us, or against us... For me, that seems like a rather black and white view of the world... But I don't think life is ever black and white... There is always gray out there...

What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:35 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You know I agree 100%!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:39 PM on May. 29, 2010

• yes.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:41 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Yes
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:42 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I agree with you...but they have to think that way in order for their religion to survive. Gray leaves too much room for doubt.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:44 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I agree and I also do not believe in that kind of thought or ideology because it closes your mind to other ways of life. It also makes tolerance and living in harmony.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:45 PM on May. 29, 2010

• sorry hard to do. When your taught your beliefs are the only way.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:48 PM on May. 29, 2010

• When I was attending a Baptist church with my ex, he got deployed to Bosnia (we were stationed in Germany at the time) both the kids and I got sick and were gone from church for about a month. The pastors wife actually called me and wanted to know why we hadn't been there, she wasn't too nice about it. Before I could tell her that we'd been really sick, plus I didn't have my overseas drivers license yet....she said that as GOOD PARENTS we have to have our children in church. Excuse me? Jumping down my throat about not attending a church I never felt too welcome at in the first place before you find out why I haven't been there is not a great way to convince me to come back. Which we didn't either. I wanted soooo bad to tell her that we'd been praying to a different god...the porcelain one in the bathroom. The whole church was like that..if you didn't attend every single Sunday, they wouldn't even look at you.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:04 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Most do but not all.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:18 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I believe that this is something that CAN be found as a product of religion (although some more than others - there are some religions that I have yet to hear displaying this kind of attitude - in China, for example, most people are Buddhist, Confucian, AND Taoist), but I don't believe it HAS to be, or is ALWAYS, the case.

I never once was taught/told that people of other faiths are wrong/going to hell in my Methodist church. It might have been believed by people in the congregation, but it was never said. And my preacher has used Gandhi in sermons, and has had us do yoga before, even..

Christianity is typically the most exclusionary. A lot of other religions leave room for people who don't affiliate. It kind of comes down to the idea damnation, which we only really see pushed in Christianity. Other faiths don't push hell as much, and their beliefs are much different than the believe or burn kind we see in most Christians..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:31 PM on May. 29, 2010

• There are only two ways, the right one and the wrong one. That doesn't mean we cannot be civil and respectful of others choices. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Tolerance means we can live together in spite of our differences. Acceptance means that I would have to agree with them as true when my beliefs say clearly that it is not. You can be tolerant of others even if you don't accept their beliefs.
    Anonymous