Christians - Is it "okay" in your opinion to preach to children?

Okay, so I am attempting once again, to make it through the "Jesus Camp" documentary... However I just can't watch more than a few minutes at a time- it bothers me to much...

This question comes out of one of the earlier moments in the film where one of the women is talking about how important it is to focus on converting children. Now, I have NO ISSUE with those of you who want to raise your kids in your church - that's fine, they are your kids. But let me tell you, if anyone came on to my kids playground and started to preach to them (as she talks about doing) I'm going in to attack mode. Just as she, I'm sure, would if someone were trying to influence her children in a different direction than what she is teaching...

So, my question is what do you all think? Is it an okay thing to put your focus on children, regardless of what their own parents may think, believe or teach?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:47 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'v never heard of it. but no. she is trying to get kids, who are likely to fall for whatever she says, to follow her religion and ignore their parents religion. which is wrong. no matter what religion.
    Anonymous

• Note from OP... I know that many of the women in this section are non-christian, like myself. However, I would like to hear the opinions of Christians... Because frankly I know what all the non-Christians will say... lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:52 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Oh poo Bri, you take all the fun out of it! lol I understand your point though.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:56 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I dont think that is ok, of course I think it is great to teach your own kids, and maybe if it were a place with teenagers, but I dont find it appropriate to preach to random very young children. I think it is the responsibility of those childrens parents to teach them what to believe, allthough I question what is going on that the parents arent there to take the kids out of the situation.
    Anonymous

• I am a Christian. I don't believe pushing my religion on anyone, children or adults. I had a friend who was a born again Christian and she was always telling me I was a mislead Christian and was going to Hell because I didn't believe in spreading the word. I just feel that I am not going to judge anyone based on their religion. I am not here to judge who has "The Right" religion. I honestly would be very angry if any religion, even my own, came to a playground to preach. I don't want my child to feel forced into a religion but go with their heart on what they believe.
    Anonymous

• No it's not okay, I would never try to convert anyone. I wouldn't want anyone I didn't know preaching to my kids about any belief system, Christian or non Christian.

When I was young some lady came up to me in a dentist office and asked if I believed in Jesus. Since I'm Catholic I said Yes! She then asked me to read a card about having Jesus in my heart... and I'll be saved.

My mom saw this lady but was busy with talking to the receptionist so she didn't know what she was doing. Looking back I just think its so silly and insulting to God that she thought some 7 year old kid reading off a card, was going to save someone, especially when I didn't understand the whole meaning behind what I was reading. I know she left feeling good about herself but really it's just so ridiculous she believed that this was what God wanted her to do. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I visited a very popular church in my area that teaches the kids that (needless to say I never went back). Some high school kids were telling the congregation abut the mission trip they had just come back from. They talked a lot about "saving" people on the trip and about wanting to "save" friends of theirs back home. These kids were crying because they had friends who had not "accepted JC as their savior" and that they would not be able to see those friends in heaven later. So yes, those churches are out there. I saw Jesus Camp, it was pretty scary, but I do know people like that.
    We go to a very liberal Christian church that is inclusive of all religions and even *gasp* support gay marriage :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:13 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Oh you are getting down right nasty today Sabrina!! lol Ok I see what you mean. I watched 2 parts of the video, thanks BTW. If an adult tried to discredit my beliefs to my child I would be upset too. However, there is a difference between correcting and having a conversation. Ive had kids in my house and discussions have came up about God and religion but its just that a discussion.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:13 PM on May. 29, 2010

• 3giggle - you are welcome! I have no issue with "conversation" and personally think it's a good thing, especially for children. But I do take issue with the idea of "TARGETING" children for conversion.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:16 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Straight to the point no. Only my own children. But i am not what you would call a normal christian either.
    I don't think it is right to push my religion on any one period.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:32 PM on May. 29, 2010