To HomeSchooling Moms...

Do you homeschool because of religious reasons? If so, what religion are you?

Here is why I ask. I am watching a documentary which stated that 75% of all Homeschooled children in the US are evangelical Christians, and I was wondering how factual this is...

What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:55 PM on May. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I disagree, I dont believe this is accurate information. In Florida out of all of our homeschooling acquaintances I would say maybe 1-5% were even Christian, now in Tn the % is much higher at about 75%, not nec evangelical though. I think it differs depending on the state/town etc.
    Anonymous

• I think that those stats are right! We homeschool but NOT for religious reasons. It is hard to find other homeschoolers who are not very conservative Christians! When looking for curriculum on-line a lot of it has a Christian slant. I found some cool stuff on volcanoes, earthquakes the Earth etc. and had to toss out the part that said "Earth is 6000 years old". We teach "real" science and my kids learned that Earth is 4.5 billion years old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:07 PM on May. 29, 2010

• While I am Christian it is not the reason for my homeschooling. We did 3 years of public school before I pulled her out. I homeschool because of her special needs and because the schools in this city are not safe.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2010

• No. I homeschooled bc Florida public schools are the worst I've seen. It had nothing to do with religion

Answer by admckenzie at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I included religion in our lessons, but I do NOT homeschool for "religious reasons". We care mostly about our children's academics and not so wanted social behaviors, attitudes that they were picking up from their peers "at school". Yes, we sometimes still encounter those attitudes, but at least I know who it is now and can have a better handle on avoiding it. (We are Catholic-Christians). I will agree w/maggie that it's difficult to find homeschooling material that is not heavily slanted one way or another. However it's NOT impossible. I've used resources such as Lesson Pathways, my local library, and other various on-line resources to help fill my needs. My local co-op is secular.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:26 PM on May. 29, 2010

• While we are Christians, the reason we homeschool has nothing to do with that. I homeschool my daughter because we travel a lot during the year and if she went to school she would have to change schools 3-4 times a year.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:28 PM on May. 29, 2010

• We homeschool, but not for religious reasons. I was a teaching major in college. After 3 semesters I realized the system is entirely broken and I have no real way to fix it. So, now I'm a homeschooling mom.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 5:36 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I am going to homeschool, because I disagree with Public schools, and because of Religous beliefs . We are Christian and the most important thing for me is that I have their hearts and that they have a personal relationship with Christ.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:13 AM on May. 30, 2010

• We are Christian but do not homeschool for religious reasons. Our local school has gone downhill drastically in the past 10 years in areas of violence, abuse, academic performance, and a slew of other issues.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:15 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I homeschool because our education system in my area sucks big time. Its like the lowest in the country(or second lowest). And I want more for my children then a half-assed education given by people who dont care if they love learning or not.

Ive even talked to teachers themselves who think the education system stinks. That says a lot to me.

Religion has NOTHING to do with why I do it but just about everyone else Ive known who homeschooled did do it for religious reasons(not all but most).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:44 AM on May. 30, 2010