i will be 40 weeks this upcoming week. if the labor doesnt come its on by next appt this tuesday. i wanted to be induced asap. as a patient do i have the rights to demand my ob/gyn to induce my labor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 42 weeks is the time the baby should come. Don't rush it the baby will come when she/he is ready. The lungs are still developing. I know how you feel wanting to get that baby out but try different ways to relax until it's time.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 5:58 PM on May. 29, 2010

• 42 weeks was our doctors office policy. Unless there was a medical issue.
    Anonymous

• Your doctor/midwife might/might not be willing to agree to this.
    Because it's elective, not the safest for you & baby, it might be harder to get them to agree.
    Why do you want this?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:07 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Depends on the doctor. Some will induce for virtually no reason so they can plan their schedules, but I don't think that's a good thing. Ups your risk of having a C section a lot. Others have a policy in place of X number of weeks, and if that is the case, then no...you can't demand he induce you. He'd have to be on board with it or find a medical reason for doing so.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:08 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Is this your first? Do you know that your gestation period is only 40 weeks? Some babies/moms take longer or shorter as everyone develops at a different rate.
    While you do have rights, an EDD is not an expiration date, so your doctor could refuse because of his Hippocratic oath of doing no harm
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:12 PM on May. 29, 2010

• You can tell them what you want, but you don't have the right to demand it.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:30 PM on May. 29, 2010

• i was induced with both (mostly so I could have my own Dr. (he was going to go on vacation) I was either 2-5 days past 40 weeks with either one. But to do it again i would wait to see if it happens naturally. Being induced hurts A LOT! the artificial hormones are too much for my body.Contractions hurt a lot more than they should have and they had to turn it off. As far as baby being ready my Dr. checked and both mine tuned head down and i was dilated 1/2 -1 1/2cm so he knew i was fairly close anyhow. But if we conceive again I will wait and see.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:46 PM on May. 29, 2010

• You can ask about it. The worst they can do is tell you no.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:01 PM on May. 29, 2010

• My doctor would do it as long as I was 39 weeks. It is usually safe if your pretty sure about your due date. The baby is developed enough for birth at 37 weeks. But, you would be wrong about your due date. I'd just wait. I was induced and I was so scared that I could be rushing my baby before he was ready. He was ready, but I was afraid something would happen to him just because I was impatient.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:57 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Acurran88, a baby is considered *term* at 37 weeks, but it's the baby's lungs reaching maturity that triggers spontaneaous labor. Some babies need more time to be ready for the outside world. There's a woman in one of my groups who didn't deliver until 45 weeks. If she'd been induced before then, the chances would have been high that her baby would have been in the NICU because his lungs just weren't ready.

OP, unless there's a medical need for it (where the baby would be better off outside of mom) induction really shouldn't be an option. I can understand that you're tired of being pregnant and you're ready to hold your baby, but until the baby is ready the best thing is to continue to be pregnant. I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't suggested induction before now. If you mention it, he may do it. Most won't let you go past 42 weeks, even though some babies need to.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 1:13 PM on May. 30, 2010