Is adoption possible for military overseas?

I have exhausted a search in trying to find an agency we can adopt from. We are stationed in the UK, but the restrictions here are a bit crazy. We have been told to adopt domestically in the US, but we are not over there to do so. If we go through an agency to adopt a newborn the cost is 20,000-40,000 and let's face it, after an amount like that, what would we raise the child on?? Is there any military family out there that has experienced the same situation. Should we wait until we are stationed back in the US in 2 1/2 yrs??? Any info about this would be so appreciated. We are 30 and 40 yrs of age and have so much love to give a child and are not specific of race or physical aspects. All children need love in our eyes and deserve another chance at life. Thank you so much for reading.

armywife2509

Asked by armywife2509 at 6:42 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• I have no experience, but my heart goes out to you! You sound like wonderful people and i hope you find what you're looking for.
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 6:49 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I've talked to military women who were getting the military to pay for infertility treatments, but I don't personally know of any who successfully adopted while being overseas. I've known two couples who came to the U.S. (not U.S. citizens) and wanted to adopt, but could not because agencies in the U.S. would have required them to be citizens, and their home countries would have expected them to be living there.

I don't know your situation, but maybe attempting a pregnancy with a frozen embryo is a possibility. There are programs in the U.S. to match couples who have embryos to donate and couples who want to attempt a pregnancy. My only other thought is to wait until you are back in the U.S. We adopted twice through an agency - once for $5K and once for $10K. Foster-adopt is another option.

Are you waiting for your first child? I'm sorry you're going through this. It stinks! GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:10 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Thank you ladies! We are looking into fostering to adopt as well. I have miscarried 3 times and while in a previous relationship, but now that I am married to a wonderful and loving man, my husband cannot have children. I have looked into IVF, but was under the impression that the military did not cover the procedure. I will continue to look into that further. I know that Wilford Hall Medical in San Antonio has a program that does the process, and am waiting for a call back from them. I just do not get that there are seriosly thousands of children needing homes and because we happen to be overseas, we cannot get an agency to work with us without it costing us our life savings and then some. Not that I think it should be easy, but it is frustrating. We will continue to be patient and not give up by any means. I know there is someone out there for us.
    armywife2509

Answer by armywife2509 at 6:50 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I had a college professor who was looking to adopt and she told EVERYONE about it. One day a former student came to her and told her that she knew of someone looking to give her baby up for adoption, they met and the rest is history! I'd suggest spreading the word and maybe a young pregnant woman will find out.
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 9:21 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I agree with yezay. It's worth a try. We have some friends (an older couple) who found their son this way - their physician knew they wanted to adopt and put everyone in touch. We tried doing that, and several times we were told, "Oh, that just happened at our church like a month ago". Obviously those particular kids were not meant to be ours. You should probably contact a lawyer to find out how it will all work. You won't be out of the country forever, right? We were on the waiting lists about two years for each child. Maybe you could just get on the list, and by the time your child is to be born (or available for adoption), you'll be back in the country. Don't give up!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:56 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Contact Military One Source. www.Militaryonesource.com They have adoption councilors (that you talk to over the phone) who can help you get the ball rolling. You can also ask them those sorts of questions and they will help you decide what is best for your family.
    ladykyr

Answer by ladykyr at 7:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010