What's the cost of a gallon of milk in your neck of the woods?

Often we see these grocery questions come up and many feel fluster or upset when they see a CMer posting that they spend $60 or less to feed their family. I know that a big part of that has to do with location, location, location.

Cost of living, even across United States of America is not the same. To get an idea of what the cost of living is in your neck of the woods I figured I would ask: How much is a gallon of milk? After all this is a very common thing on a grocery list.

Here a gallon of Milk is $2.00.

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 6:50 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Shopping

• where do u live? That is cheap!!!! I am in Iowa an the generic skim (the cheapest) is about $2.60 and ya i do feed my family of 4 on a small budget (about less than $100 a month including luxury items) but i also grow a lot of my small yard in a garden or also in pots on driveway/patio and can and freeze foods and accept any fresh fruits and vegies ppl dont want to mess with (i go pick them and can them myself) so sometimes dedication is a big part of it....and coupons, coupons, coupons! And and DH after being laid off are going to school full time so ya it takes a lot of time to can and prepare meals from scratch and I am only 25 so I can speak for the fact that my generation has lost a lot of determination to "do what they need to do to help themselves". So I think this is where a lot of the debate lies also.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I'm in central California and pay $2.15 a gallon for 2%. Lack of dairies is a big part of why milk may be so expensive elsewhere.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:53 PM on May. 29, 2010

• $2.36 for 1% at Walmart

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:55 PM on May. 29, 2010

• $2.10 a gallon for 2% in NYC
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:57 PM on May. 29, 2010

• $3.19 at my local grocery store. (It's the only grocery store in town)
    Anonymous

• Ugh. It is $3.45 in N. FL
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 6:58 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I'm in Northern IL and I should have added that $2.00 is for 2% milk. That's it too hotrodmomma, many people grow their own food to supplement their food cost. A pack of seeds are cheap. :)
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:02 PM on May. 29, 2010

• $3.79 a gallon for our milk. We actually go to the gas station to buy it because it's cheaper than the grocery store (right now, it's $4.29 on sale, and regular price is $5 and something) It could be cheaper, but I won't drink any milk except Mayfield, and that's more expensive than store brand.

I think the store brand is $3, so I'd really only be saving about 80 cents.

I live in East Tennessee.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:06 PM on May. 29, 2010

• About $3.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:06 PM on May. 29, 2010

• About $3 for 2% for the generic Wal-Mart brand. Closer to four for the name brands. Just an FYI to the poster above though, not trying to dictate what you buy since Mayfield may be different...but my cousin delivers milk to grocery stores and works for one of the name brands...but he also delivers a lot of the generics because the milk all comes from the exact same place. They just put a different label on the jug. :-)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:09 PM on May. 29, 2010