Should i put my 15 mth old on timeouts if she is acting up?

she totally throws her tantrums, its the whole sha-bang, she lays on her belly on the floor and kicks her legs.

mama_crystal

Asked by mama_crystal at 7:21 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I sure did. I always put my son in his bedroom and would say "If you want to throw your tantrum, do it in your own room, please. You can come out when you feel like you're done."
    Now, he goes into his room to throw his tantrums - on his own. It's hilarious.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:28 PM on May. 29, 2010

• i usually do laugh because its hilarious. but sometimes when we are out places she does it and i just stick to my guns and put her down and let her throw it, she has been like that all day today and its so frustrating.
    mama_crystal

Answer by mama_crystal at 7:31 PM on May. 29, 2010

• No, she's too young to understand what a formal time out is but I would put her in her room so I didn't have to listen to it. A timeout should be ONE minute for each yr in her age so her's would be ONE minute. She can't comprehend a formal sitting in a chair for her bad behavior concept. She can understand that if she does that she will be isolated from everyone (in her room). Most little ones hate being alone so she might stop. Perhaps she's tired and needs a nap.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:32 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I would NOT allow her to do that in public. I used to tell my kids that other people don't want to hear that and that when we get to the car they can continue but to stop for now. It amazed me that they actually stopped THEN they'd forget to continue by the time we got back to the car. lol Little kids can be so funny

Answer by admckenzie at 7:34 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Well, if at all possible, go outside where there is no one around. Sometimes, a tantrum just allows the little kiddo to express feelings that are too overwhelming and they just crash and completely burn. It is a complete pain and embarrassment when you get those "looks" from people varying in sympathy to shocked disgust. Yeah, sure, like you've never had a child have a complete meltdown on Aisle 4...... :D
    Anyway! If possible, go outside, to the car, or even a corner of the store/restroom. She may be too young, but crouching down so you're eye level with her - not towering over her and seeming even the more menacing - and talking in a firm and quiet voice will actually get through to her better. Just let her know "I know you're upset right now, and that's okay to be upset. But it's not okay to scream like this." etc etc.

:] It'll pass. Good luck!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

• well i believe she understands more than i think. i have a little pack n play that she sleeps in every weekend at grandparents but i put her in it when she throws her fit then i take her out after a few minute and i pay no mind to her when she is in there that seemed to do alright i guess but i just wamted more input, or i just set her down and walk away.
    mama_crystal

Answer by mama_crystal at 7:39 PM on May. 29, 2010

• thanks ladies, ill try it.
    mama_crystal

Answer by mama_crystal at 7:41 PM on May. 29, 2010

• No way! If she is getting upset let her...don't punish her for her feelings. She might not be expressing them in the best way but she is upset that she has boundaries and needs to readjust. Let her cry it out...then be there to hug her when she is ready. She will eventualyl just cry a little and hug you. Ignoring and time out will just confuse her and make her feel as though she is wrong for feeling.

Read raising our children, raising ourselves by naomi aldort for a better perspective.
    Anonymous

• My son is 15 months too. His fits include jerking his head backwards and letting his body go limp. I recently started timeouts and so far it's going pretty well. Good luck.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:56 PM on May. 29, 2010

• my peditrician told me at the last check up to start time outs if needed. put her in the pack and play if she miss behaves with no toys. so far i do not do time outs because the pack and play is needed still because of when i take a shower its the only safe place i can put her right now. i just stand up and point my finger at her if she is misbehaving. she hasnt really done a full tantrum but she does cry when we take things away from her. but she is pretty good. but the pack and play thing it seems to be common thing since the doctor told me about it. the understand more then you think they do.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:52 PM on May. 29, 2010