Non believers may not force their kids to go to church but you do force....

school. Christians feel church is educational for their children in a spiritual manner. Church is important to us, just as a childs schooling. I see many are against kids being "forced" to go to church but aren't there times you have to "enforce" your child to go to school. It's no different. Kids do not always "want" to do what's best because it requires work or time away from playing but it is the parent's responsibility to be sure they go even though they may not want to beacuse they know it is best for them.
So my question is this: Those of you who are angry because kids are "forced" to go to church.......How is that different from your kids being forced to go places ie :school, the store, to the Doctors for a check up, to their dad's for the weeknd, to Aunt Tillie's, to do chores, homework etc etc. Do you let your child run the roost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Those who do not have a relationship with Christ and seek the will of the Lord can not possibly understand how important salvation and Christian teachings are. If they did they would see that it is for eternity and far more important in the long run than anything you could ever get from this earth. But I get it now. The lost are blinded to the truth and cannot see salvation for what it is, a soul saving, eternal gift. There is nothing better for your kids than that, nothing.
    Anonymous

• you do make a good point. the kids will make their own decision when it comes to religous choices when they get older. it varies per family. i am just now raising my first child so i do not have experience with how she will react but i do take her to church but its not forced on her. its really just something i want to teach her. if she does not choose this religion so be it but when she is an adult she can make that decison as parents its our job to lead our children to be come responsible adults and to be able to educate themselves and make their own decision.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:09 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I am a Christian but there are different reasons for school and church. Sure, for us church is education and it's as important as school. But when our kids are adults and start looking for a job, nobody's going to ask them where they went to church. School is what is important for their academic future and church is important for their spirit. I don't force church on my daughter, but I do force school on her. She does go to church every other Sunday but that's because she WANTS to go.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:17 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Reading and Writing and Math are necessary survival skills. They impact our lives daily regardless. I realize that God is important to you as a believer, but he does not impact the daily lives of ALL people. ( OK so maybe you believe he does, but I do not,) Therefore I view religion as a non-essential class. Yes my kids go to school because they NEED to read, write, and know if they get correct change back. They do not NEED god and that is how it is different. They go to the doctor to stay healthy again necessity. The store?? You NEED food. No they do not run the roost. They get what they NEED and other things are open for discussion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:23 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Forcing isn't theright word. If you don't guild your child the will end up on the wrong path. That is like saying because my daughter wants to stay up all night I should let her because she wants to even though going to bed is what is good for her. I am guilding her and raising her the right way. If we were to let our kids run wild and only do the things they wanted it would be ridiculous. So why having them go to church if they don't want to bad?
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 8:26 PM on May. 29, 2010

• OP here-Ohhhhhh don't mistake me......I am not saying it is important for your child to go! All I'm saying is as a parent we are required to force our children at times to do things they don't want to for thier benefit. I believe church is for MY CHILD"S benefit so forcing them to go (if I ever had to) is not such a horrible thing as many have made it seem. We all as parents have to force things sometimes.
    Anonymous

• You do believe it is important for them to go and so even if you don't directly say it we all know it's true. That's perfectly fine if they are willing. What do you plan to do when they are older and start questioning?? Are you still going to insist they go because it's for their benefit?? That is when it starts being a bad thing. When you don't allow them an option to explore other beliefs to see if the one you've taught them is the one they want to follow.
    Anonymous

• i think its not right because church usually brain washes people into thinking that they are sinners for a variety of reasons. what if your child is gay and you forced him to go to a place where they tell him hes a sinner? your religion is not the only religion, and theres no proof that your religion is right. so you should force your kids to feel that way. there is only one right way to do a math problem.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:47 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Actually, I don't force my kids to go to school. My kid WANT to go to school. If they come home and say they don't, then we'll home school... I do leave it up to them. I will always do what is in my child's best interest, and it's never in their best interest to FORCE things because nothing is ever learned that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Also, I have to say there is a huge difference between general education, which will get them the basics in life, and a religious education that they can do without... Religion and God are very personal things, and who are you to decide what is and isn't spiritually right for your kids? Would you decide what classes they should take in school? or what career they should go in to? Why not, because these are personal choices... And they aren't for you to make...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on May. 29, 2010