Epidural????

I know that I should not care what others say, but I have always wanted to have a baby with out any meds. Every time I bring up to my friends and family that I want to go with out the epidural they tell me I am nuts...or why would I make myself suffer that way. Should I continue to keep my options open, or should I stand my ground with my decision and not let any one ruin my choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If that is what you want, then stand up for yourself, mama! It's your body and your decision! I had ppl tell me i was nuts when i told them i went natural. I had a 10.5 lb baby naturally, you're not nuts, it's how it should be. Working with your own body is not even that painful. Just try to relax during labor. Be calm and know that your body was made to do this.
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 8:17 PM on May. 29, 2010

• how about you walk into the labor & delivery with plans for a drug free birth but keep your mind open for an epidural if you feel it's too much to bare? you don't have to make your mind up now. if you really want a drug free birth, go for it & don't let anyone stop you. it's YOUR choice. just tell everyone you'll keep an open mind to make them shut up. =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:18 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I had a doctor laugh at me in my face when I asked how many of his patients went without an epidural. You know what? I did just fine. Of course it hurts, but it was worth it. If I ever had another baby I'd go without with that one as well. After a bad epidural experience when my first was born, I was turned off of the idea.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:18 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Most babies on Earth are born without drugs. Women are designed to get through without, it is NORMAL.
    :-)
    You *can* do it, regardless of other people and their opinions. BUT it's much easier with their support!!

There are plenty of people that can help you to stay strong, confident, empowered... ( if you need help let me know! )
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:19 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I would say both.....go with what you want, but be open. You never know what will happen once you go into labor. I expected pain and thats what I got! I was asking for meds, but I was tooo far along and I couldnt. However, i am so glad I could to it. Really you get into this zone and just focus. So, stay with what you want...be open to changes if it becomes to much. BUT you can go natural. Go for it...you'll feel better when its all over. Good luck momma!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 8:20 PM on May. 29, 2010

• If you want a natural birth, then go in with that mindset. I didn't make a hard/fast decision before my 1st child was born because I knew there was no way to truly know how labor was going to be until I was going through it. I did my research, took a class, so I could make informed decisions, and I had an idea that I'd like to try natural but I didn't automatically rule anything out. I ended up with an epidural after an hour of pushing, because the OB decided they needed to use the vacuum and policy wouldn't allow him to do it without an epi. With my 2nd and 3rd I did get an epi earlier in my labor and both times it actually speeded up my labor, but it's your choice!

Answer by missanc at 8:21 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Op-This is my first pregnancy and I have been reading up on it like crazy and I have read all of the horror stories. This is why I was considering a natural birth, but as soon as I began to mention it to the friends and family they all thought I was nuts. So they made me second guess my decision. You ladies are right though it is my choice. I guess I can keep an open mind about just in case I can not handle it, but I will try my hardest to follow through as planned. Thank you so much =)
    Anonymous

• it is your decision ultimately. If you want to keep the peace tell them you want to do it without meds, but will not completely rule them out in an emergency or if labor is harder than you thought. There is no shame in doing it without and there is no shame in admitting that it's too much for you to handle and you need help. Don't let them make you question yourself. It's not them having to push something the size of a watermelon through something the size of a lemon. You have options. You can use them or not it's up to you. Stand your ground and keep them out of the delivery room.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:30 PM on May. 29, 2010

• lets just say you will NOT feel this way about an epidural when you're in labor
    Anonymous

• i personally had an epidural, i cant imagine not having an epidural and everyone i ever know has had an epidural. the only horror stories ive heard are of women trying to have natural births, and then wishing they didnt. i didnt have any complications with my epidural, it didnt hurt at all, and i dont know anyone whos had any complications. but i know that there are women who do have natural births and do alright, so i think you should do whatever you want. your friends and family im sure are just trying to tell you not to get your hopes up because its not easy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:43 PM on May. 29, 2010