Voice changing and other things to expect with preteen/tween?

My son is 11 years old, he'll be 12 in February. He has constantly, and I mean constantly been making noises with his throat lately. The more he does it, the more I think it's for attention. He has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder~meaning he does things HIS way and the opposes what adults ask him to do). Anyway, that said, what should I expect to see with him in the next year or so. I know all children develop differently. I'm wondering if we should have "the talk" or what I should ask him there. I also am wondering if I should have him evaluated for his throat issue or if it's a growing up thing with him. What physical changes should I be aware of as a parent, so that I can prepare him for these things before they happen? Advice would be great here. Links to webpages would help as well. Thanks in advance for help on these topics.

babygoose78

Asked by babygoose78 at 8:20 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son had tourettes and has an issue with throat noises. Are you sure it isnt a tick of some kind?

As far as puberty.... my son is a great kid very polite, well behaved, etc and he lost his brain for a bit during puberty. He wouldnt listen, he would debate everything, he would do what he wanted.......... so if your son already has issues with that then I would suggest you have a private talk with his specialist prior to puberty so you can get some coping techniques.

As far as have "the talk" I asume you are meaning sex......... do it now... your a little behind in that area.  I think by 12 most kids kind of know what is going on if not in detail.  I rather him get it correctly from you with alll the moral spin a parent would add that another tween would not.

LOTS OF LUCK MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

• Yeah he needs to have "the talk" now! They will tell him in school anyway, but you need to chat about it. Also, you can expect body odor and increased appetite. When I say increased, I mean he will eat everything in the house.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:47 PM on May. 29, 2010

• He should have already had the "talk" in school. It is done in 4th and 5th grade. As for the throat clearing, does he have allergies? I clear my throat all the time because of mucus draining down the back of my throat. What to expect from puberty? Voice changing, the locker room funk smell, lots of zits, eating everything in site. My son is ADHD, on meds and still eats ALL THE TIME. Oh and don't forget about the attitude and mood swings. Keep the "talk" going and start the sex talk too, if you already haven't done so. Never stop the "talk", it needs to be an ongoing conversation that starts at about 6 years old. I have included drugs, alcohol, and respect for women in the "talk". My son knows that it is NEVER ok to hit a woman or be degrading or mean.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on May. 29, 2010

• If he is on any type of medication for either the ADHD or the ODD, then the throat clearing could possibly be a tic that has developed as a side effect, esp. if it was sudden. If he doesn't appear to realize when he's doing the throat clearing, odds are high it is a new tic. Just to be safe, I would discuss it with your child's prescribing doc.

Regarding the other stuff, well, my son just recently went through puberty & he's just turned 15. Like the first poster said, their brains go "out to lunch" once puberty hits. I would also start speaking to his specialists or a counselor now to see how best to prepare yourself for your son's impending pubescence.

I can't speak much to "the talk" if you mean sex, b/c, although we've tried talking to him about it, he just isn't interested at all & will not discuss it (he has high functioning autism, which is probably why he won't talk about it), so we really haven't gone there yet.
    Anonymous

• My son developed the throat noise tic after meds for ADHD - I would bet that is what is going on with him in that respect - don't stress out and call it Tourettes unless there is a whole lot more going on! Just a Tic !!
    If he hasn't had the talk with you, you can bet he has had it with school mates! He knows far more than you realise even if he doesn't know all the scientific facts. You need to get a good puberty book aimed specifically at boys ( we like "Secret Boys Business") it explains everything in a funny but not babyish way. His hormones are on a rollercoaster right now and you can expect him to be angry, laughing like a maniac then teary like a toddler in the space of three seconds - I'm serious about the tears, they are a sure sign of puberty. As for everything else, relax and enjoy, many parents are afraid of Puberty, but it is also wonderful to see the young man emerging, Have fun, it's ALL GOOD!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:24 PM on May. 30, 2010

• My first thought when I read your question was that the throat thing could be tourettes. Has he ever been evaluated for that? Or perhaps, if he's on meds for ADHD, that could be causing it.

Definitely have the talk. My personal opinion is that's is always better to do sooner rather than later.

My boy went through puberty without a hitch so I can't relate to what some of the previous posters said. I really only had to deal with the physical changes --- he ate more than usual cuz he was growing so fast, body hair, body odor, voice getting deeper, few pimples, that's about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Hi, I am the OP. I am pretty confident it's not tourettes because he's been evaluated for that. It could be allergies. Or part of it could simply be that it's because he knows how irritating it is to make the noises. I'll have to check and see if he can get on allergy meds. I read the pharmacy print out on his meds last night and they say can cause dry throat, he's on vyvanse for his ADHD. He also has this problem with drinking water lately. He don't want water, he wants juice or pop or powerade. I have to limit his sugar intake or his attitude gets to be where nobody can stand to be around him. I will keep trying to get him to drink water again. He used to drink water no problems. Thanks for the replies. I've read them all and plan on talking with him about things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 31, 2010