How to become a vegetarian?

I'm thinking of venturing down the journey of vegetarianism. I stopped buying read meat for home cooking several months ago. But i still eat it when i go out and such. The only meat i use for home cooking right now is poultry and fish.
I plan to stop eating cow all together starting on Monday. Which shouldn't be too difficult as long as i don't go out next month. lol

For those of you who didn't start out as vegetarians, how did you make the transition from Traditional American Diet to vegetarian?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've only been a vegetarian for a year and a half. I still eat fish and seafood though. In my opinion it wasn't that hard to make the change. It took a little while to get use to the 'veggie' meats but I love them now. So whenever someone is having a meat, I'll buy my veggie version. Also a lot of meals are vegetarian, some of them may already be your favorites. Just try to make 'meat' meals without meat. I use to have a book, The Flexitarian Diet. It was a good read and includes many recipes without meat but you can still add meat if you have a craving.
    I hope at least some of what I just said helped. I'm kinda rambling on. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I promise I will try to make sense when I reply. Good luck!
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 9:01 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I'm a vegetarian. I haven't eaten red meat since I was a child, and stopped chicken and fish about six years ago. For me it was a matter of finding recipes for good meals that didn't include meat, or learning how to substitute 'fake meat' in existing recipes. I have several vegetarian cookbooks with new ideas, and still make old favourites using soy meat if there is no other way to make the recipe work. It really wasn't hard for me... but then again, my family never had meat on a daily basis as some families do. If we had two or three meals a week with meat in them, it was unusual. So it really wasn't a hard transition for me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:42 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I stopped in sixth grade. I just stopped with red meat first and to this day, I occasionally eat free range, organic roasted chicken and fish, crab, scallops. I eat lots of legumes and beans, eggs.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:06 PM on May. 29, 2010