How to become a vegetarian?

I'm thinking of venturing down the journey of vegetarianism. I stopped buying read meat for home cooking several months ago. But i still eat it when i go out and such. The only meat i use for home cooking right now is poultry and fish.
I plan to stop eating cow all together starting on Monday. Which shouldn't be too difficult as long as i don't go out next month. lol

For those of you who didn't start out as vegetarians, how did you make the transition from Traditional American Diet to vegetarian?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:38 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have been vegetarian for most of the last 30 years, or so. Feel free to contact me if you want to "chat"

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 PM on May. 30, 2010

• If you really want to become a vegetarian you will get to the point that meat is just icky to you. Don't put pressure on yourself - this is not a diet it is a decision based on morality.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 8:42 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Based on morality???
    Not for me it's not. lol. I'm making this decision for my own (and my families) health.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:51 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I don't eat much red meat except the occational steak maybe once every few months because I like the way it tastes. I hate the way it makes me feel though. I switched to turkey burger at home and there are actually a lot of places that make turkey burgers while out. Just ask. I know that meat isn't the greatest for you. You can tell by the way it makes you feel but I like it. I eat less meat than I use to. I eat a lot of almonds for Protien and do protien shakes. Good luck. Just also keep in mind if you are going Veggy don't replace meat with to many carbs.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 8:53 PM on May. 29, 2010

• not necessarily. in my religion a big majority of people decide to become vegetarians because of the health message that is preached in our church. our body is a temple and we should do all we can to keep it clean and healthy. In the old time there were plenty of seventhday adventists who ate meat until they started injecting steroids and stuff into them to make them grow faster and bigger. since than a lot of seventh day adventists decided to stop eating meat and keep an organic diet. take it slow. the best thing to do first is to cut out all scavenger meats like pork, shrimp, and other shell fishes because they feed on just about anything they can get. next you would start cutting out red meat, than when you feel ready you can cut out poultry, eventually fish.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:54 PM on May. 29, 2010

• my oldest went cold turkey-well she does eat fish occassionally. BUt all other meats she just stopped one day.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:15 PM on May. 30, 2010